Garmin BMW Nav V adn VI headset compatibility - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2017, 10:01 AM (625) Thread Starter
rtb

Garmin BMW Nav V adn VI headset compatibility

I have a BMW Navigator V GPS and Scala Rider Cardo PackTalk. Both with current firmware.
My music is played from the Nav V and is on an SD card plugged into the Nav V.
Not always, but most times the music “studders” badly. Disconnecting the Cardo and GPS multiple times usually makes the music stop stuttering, at least for a while until it starts stuttering again.
So I called Garmin, and to my surprise learned that the BMW Navigator V and VI do not support the Cardo PackTalk. Also, they don’t even support the latest Sena devices either. Below is Garmin support’s email response showing a list of supported headset devices.
Suggest if you have problems between these GPSs and your headset, call Garmin and add your voice to what I suspect/hope is a growing list of folks who would like Garmin to support latest headsets.

“Garmin strives to maintain Bluetooth compatibility with the most popular motorcycle headsets on the market. Currently, as long as the headset supports the hands-free profile and has a Bluetooth version of 1.1 or higher, it should be compatible, although it cannot be guaranteed.
The BMW Motorrad Navigator V and VI has been tested and verified to work with the following:
• BMW System 6 (Software version 2.5 or higher)
• Cardo Scala G4
• Cardo Scala G9 PowerSet
• Cardo Scala Q2 Multiset Pro
• Interphone Blueant F4
• Midland BT2-S
• Nolan
• Nolan N-Com B4
• Plantronics MS5
• Scala Q2 Pro
• Scala TeamSet Pro
• Schuberth SRC
• Sena SMH105”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2017, 10:37 AM (650)
Naviator

Garage
This is/has been a known issue with the Nav-V and Garmin gave you there stand-by excuse (not compatible), the truth is that these BT helmet systems all use the same A2DP /AVRCP /SPP/ HFP protocols that the NAV-V should support.
This list appears to be old, many of the devices listed are way out-dated.

There is a chance that the file system or the SD card that you are using are the problem and also double check that you do actually have the latest firmware v3.40 loaded on your navigator, there was a an update that supposedly addressed this issue.

Also one other thing to check is that is that the Bluetooth is not left in find or search on the Nav-V, just uncheck the box to turn that off.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2017, 11:31 AM (688) Thread Starter
rtb

Thanks JetSpeed. Yah, my Nav V is v3.40 and Cardo is v3.1. Latest for both. Well at least this is a very 1st world problem :-)
P.S. And yep, I already knew about not leaving "discoverable" mode left on. Thanks.

Last edited by rtb; 07-Aug-2017 at 11:45 AM (697).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-Apr-2018, 12:15 AM (218)

Interphone Sport

Hi, I've just purchased an Interphone Sport and I'm having numerous problems as well, including the stuttering mentioned above.

I have my music on the Nav V internal memory (no SD card in the device). Initially I couldn't hear the music when it was being streamed. The Interphone had connected to the Nav V correctly as I was getting navigation directions from the Nav V, but when I selected the "music" button on the Interphone and selected a song there was no sound. The Nav V behaved as if it was playing the song, the slider at the top of the screen was moving and the timer was counting up, but nothing was coming through the speakers.

After some trial and error I found that I had to start the Nav V, start the Interphone , select "music" on the Interphone, shut the Interphone down, start the Interphone and select "music" again to hear the music. I was doing all this in the lounge room and the music would stream correctly. I put the Nav V back on the bike and went for a ride to test it out and I got the music stuttering problem. Very disappointing, and it sounds like Garmin is uninterested in investigating the issues.

(The Nav V and Interphone both have the latest version of software on them.)

Last edited by Tall GSA; 05-Apr-2018 at 12:17 AM (220). Reason: Forgot a couple of points.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-Apr-2018, 06:38 AM (485)

Garage
So just wondering cant the Iphone just stream the music to the Scala Packtalk?
I mean when all 3 are interconnected?
PAcktalk, Iphone 6S and Nav V
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2018, 02:41 AM (320)

virkdoc, my understanding of how the Nav V should be used is like this: connect your intercom to the Nav V and then connect the Nav V to a phone, so that the Nav V is in the middle. Doing it like this means that you can't stream music from the phone through the Nav V to the intercom. If you want to stream music you have to load it on the Nav V and stream it from there.

The other option is that you connect the intercom to the Nav V and then the intercom to the phone, if your intercom can handle 2 bluetooth connections at a time. If the intercom can do this you should be able to stream music from the phone to the intercom. The problem appears to be if you are using the Nav V for navigation you may not hear the verbal directions from the Nav V, but I believe that this depends on how your intercom works. I haven't tried this setup with my Interphone Sport/Nav V/OnePlus phone, so I don't know if it works or not.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2018, 07:31 PM (021) Thread Starter
rtb

Cardo firmware update 4.0

I recently installed the latest firmware version 4.0 on my Scala Rider Cardo PackTalk. The music studdering problem that I had is all but gone. Still happens sometimes after ending a phone call or switching between the radio and music, but I don't do much phone or radio. I'm much happier.

Last edited by rtb; 17-Apr-2018 at 07:35 PM (024).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-May-2018, 05:53 PM (953) Thread Starter
rtb

Nevermind...

Now after a couple of more weeks of experience, I realize that my early enthusiasm was misplaced. The stuttering problem happens maybe a bit less often with the 4.0 firmware, but not much less often.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-May-2018, 07:20 PM (014)

Nav VI + Packtalk OK

I use the Nav VI with a 3 year-old Packtalk and it works satisfactorily for playing music via the Nav VI. I also use the hardwired SPlugs, rather than a helmet speaker. Just finished a two-week trip so used it a lot.

I had some problems that sounded like a bad connection, at times, though--so I cleaned the contacts on both the Garmin and the Packtalk with Deoxit D [<http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f>]--seems fine now (though not sure of a cause and effect relationship with the cleaner.) You might try that.

There was/is another annoying issue: I can only play music via the internal memory in the Nav VI, not the memory card. I have had considerable discussion here on the forum and with Garmin support but in the end could not resolve the issue so I just use the internal memory for music. Both the Packtalk and Garmin are up-to-date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode