Using iphone as a Sat Nav. Question - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 08:41 AM (612) Thread Starter

Using iphone as a Sat Nav. Question

I was going to try using my iPhone as a Sat Nav, via the Givi S110 cable wired to battery and S111 hub in a Givi tank bag (S620)which has viewing pouch on top. One review of the same set up said the phone wouldn't charge when used as a Sat Nav.
I have I have asked Givi and they think that may be because of the Canbus system. I think that because I will direct wire the S110 to the battery the Canbus shouldn't be an issue but I would welcome any comments or experiences before I buy the cable / hub.
I don't want to waste 60+ on cables that don't produce the right result and would rather not spend 400 on a dedicated Sat Nav.

Previous 3 bikes; Suzuki TL1000R, Suzuki VStrom 1000, Triumph Rocket 3 Touring.

We cannot trample upon the humanity of others without devaluing our own. "He who will hold another down in the mud must stay in the mud to keep him down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 09:49 AM (659)

Technically your iPhone doesn't receive the satellites last like most GPS receivers do.. but receive their navigation information via cell towers if that what your "Sat Nav" question refers too...
Advart and Henry Porter like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 10:30 AM (687)

iPhone GPS

www.navigon.com
Southpaw and Henry Porter like this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 10:31 AM (688)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
I have been using an old iPhone 4S as a navigation system for the last year. Just wired up one of those cig lighter USB supplies to power it. No problems keeping it charged.

Smartphones use all manner of information for navigation--cell towers, publicly known wi-fi networks, and GPS satellites. Satellites are more power consuming, but when I was in some pretty remote areas where there was no other source of location info, the phone still stayed charged as long as it was plugged in.

Haven't had much luck finding an app that meets my needs and wants, though. Rever is nice when it works (especially with offline maps), but it still seems like it's unfinished and needs further debugging before it's a product. InRoute (highly recommended by a BMW magazine a couple years ago) is limited, is completely dependent on having a cell signal, and seems to use the magnetic compass in the phone for direction info... which means oddly tilted displays at times. Maps.me is free and self-contained, but too limited to do much more than show me where I am so I can navigate with paper maps. I wish they made MapFactor Navigator for the iPhone, as it would be about perfect for my needs. I'm getting close to the point of buying a cheap Android phone and using it as a dedicated GPS.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 10:40 AM (694)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Thanks. Just installed and it was free.

If you are a frequent user what are your thoughts?

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 28-Feb-2018 at 10:43 AM (696).
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 11:26 AM (726) Thread Starter

Clay, it was in review of the Givi cables and hub. The reviewer gave the set up 1 out of 5 because he said the phone wouldn't charge whilst using the sat nav facility of his phone. Which app he was using he didn't say but I find it odd that an app would prevent the phone from charging. Givi suggested it could have been a fault with the phone which I tend to agree with.
I realise that a phone app may not be ideal but I have managed biking through Europe without any Sat Nav over the years and fancied trying using one (had one in car for years).
Tanks for the other info too folks
chaostrophy likes this.

Previous 3 bikes; Suzuki TL1000R, Suzuki VStrom 1000, Triumph Rocket 3 Touring.

We cannot trample upon the humanity of others without devaluing our own. "He who will hold another down in the mud must stay in the mud to keep him down.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 02:18 PM (846)
Naviator

Garage
If it ends up that the iPhone is not going to work out as you hoped you can do what I do on my other bike and purchase a cheap used Garmin Nuvi or other GPS off Ebay, I see 5" screen models for around $25 or cheaper always, they are extremely easy to power off the bike and work very well provided you don't get them wet, I throw mine in a pocket or case if it looks like rain.

I've tried using smartphones but they aren't to my liking on a motorcycle.
Henry Porter likes this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 02:52 PM (869)
Survivor

Garage
My wifes sister bought three cheap Nuvi Garmins thru Groupon about five years ago. I think she paid less than $100. She gave Spousal Unit one and she used it on her bikes for three + years. Used a sandwich bag for rain and was happy as a clam. I got her a 660 and have been using the Nuvi Im my pick-up ever since.
Henry Porter likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 02:57 PM (873)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
If it ends up that the iPhone is not going to work out as you hoped you can do what I do on my other bike and purchase a cheap used Garmin Nuvi or other GPS off Ebay, I see 5" screen models for around $25 or cheaper always, they are extremely easy to power off the bike and work very well provided you don't get them wet, I throw mine in a pocket or case if it looks like rain.

I've tried using smartphones but they aren't to my liking on a motorcycle.
I've used the Navigon app for off the grid navigation while my iPhone is charging on my 2014 GS.
Henry Porter likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 28-Feb-2018, 03:18 PM (887)
Naviator

Garage
My biggest problem with using my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S8) is that it's not glove friendly and has a small display.
And all my other phones have had the same issue.
Advart and Henry Porter like this.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode