NAV VI not turning on with bike - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2018, 09:45 AM (614)

Garage
Garmin Express will not recognize my NAV VI on an iMac, current OSX. I finally just gave up and use a friend's MS Laptop, no problem. Map updates from Garmin's contractor are all too often way out of date, compared to Google/Apple. I've often suspected that Garmin's Aircraft business gets priority and their vehicle nav business is a bastard stepchild. That said, it's still pretty good stuff, quirks and maps aside....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2018, 06:23 PM (974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Garmin Express will not recognize my NAV VI on an iMac, current OSX. I finally just gave up and use a friend's MS Laptop, no problem. Map updates from Garmin's contractor are all too often way out of date, compared to Google/Apple. I've often suspected that Garmin's Aircraft business gets priority and their vehicle nav business is a bastard stepchild. That said, it's still pretty good stuff, quirks and maps aside....
If you look at Garmin's financial reporting, it's just the opposite. While the aircraft business is some real state of the art expensive stuff, that entire industry is but a fraction of the automotive, and handheld markets. Cameras, watches, etc are also a rapidly growing business for them.

BTW, my MacOS 'outer works just fine with Garmin Express and my van updates.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2018, 11:18 PM (179) Thread Starter

I have to say I have no issues connecting to my Mac. It might need a hard reset but I have not gotten around to doing it.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2018, 03:18 AM (345)

Garage
NAV Not Turning On

I have the exact same problem. Does it even charge when the bike is parked and on a trickle charger?

I thought about taking it out and putting it on it's own charger each time I park the bike for an extended time but it is terribly difficult to get back in the cradle.

Anyone else have that problem too?

Clark
2017 R1200GSA
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2018, 04:19 AM (388)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark2262 View Post
I have the exact same problem. Does it even charge when the bike is parked and on a trickle charger?

I thought about taking it out and putting it on it's own charger each time I park the bike for an extended time ..
Yes..my battery was replaced under Garmin warranty... Upon reading the oem manual..when the bike is parked for an extended period it s recommended to remove the battery from the unit..
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2018, 03:14 AM (343)

Garage
I'm very late to this thread but I thought I'd have my say. If ever I have had glitches with any Garmin unit, I remove the unit's battery for 20 seconds and then reinstall it. With a few issues I've had, resetting with the on/off button has not always given a solution.
gsa_guy likes this.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2018, 10:56 AM (663)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHarley Rider View Post
I get a similar problem if the bike is turned on (but not started) and then turned off before the Nav VI has time to fully boot up. The only solution I have found for this is to remove the Nav from the cradle and remove the battery. I tried the "30 second" method, but to no avail.
I just had this happen the other day, dark screen, power button didn't work. I removed the unit from the cradle & plugged it in to see if Garmin Express would be able to see it and plugging in the USB connection didn't do anything either. I ended up unplugging the battery and reconnecting it and then all worked as normal.

I've now been more diligent to let it fully boot up before turning off the bike and it hasn't reared it's head again, yet.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 30-Apr-2018, 06:26 PM (976)
30 years on 2 wheels

Garage
nav 6

mine would reboot endlesly , i had installed the optional sd card. after removing all is OK now

“The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.”
Salvador Dali
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-May-2018, 11:34 AM (690) Thread Starter

Happened to me yesterday again after having the bike parked for a week. Took the unit off cradle held button and nothing. After riding with it off in the cradle for 15 minutes I stopped and it immediately started to boot up once I hit the ignition off button. The screen read low battery.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 31-May-2018, 01:55 PM (788)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I have the problem with it not turning on but only when it's sat for a long time and has no charge on it. I don't know why it would run the battery down when it's off but it does. Are you sure it is getting charged by your cradle - maybe the problem is with the cradle?
+1, this is when I see that behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode