NAV VI not turning on with bike - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-Jun-2018, 11:01 PM (167)

I had the problem with the Nav 6 not turning on until it had time to recharge.....Called Garmin and they sent me a new battery. Fixed the problem.

'17 GSA - RED - Mine / '17 GSA - White - Hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-Jun-2018, 03:04 PM (836)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnock View Post
+1, this is when I see that behavior.
If you do not shut it off when you turn the ignition off it will just go to sleep and run down the battery. Whenever I turn the ignition off, the NAV VI will ask if I want to shut it down or not and will count down from 30 sec. I always tap the off tab and never have a problem with the battery running down.

BTW, there was an update for the NAV VI about a month ago that may help with the issue of it not turning on. YMMV.
gsa_guy likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-Jun-2018, 04:06 PM (879)

contacts

Mine does not make reliable electrical contact with the pins on the mount (sometimes) so I just take it off and reinstall it and that usually fixes the problem.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2018, 01:24 PM (767)

Nav VI acts like it has a dead battery/looking for discussion

1) I am having the same issues as the initiator of this discussion described, namely the Nav VI Screen does not "awake" when my 2017 R1200GS is started. This is an intermittent problem--sometimes it works, sometimes not. On Saturday I had removed the Nav VI from the bike and plugged it into a USB charger overnight, which should have fully charged it. Nevertheless, it was completely dead on Sunday morning--would not even start with the power button--as well as throughout a 100 miles ride on Sunday afternoon. However, this morning (next day, Monday) it started up normally and I used it successfully today. I get "battery low" messages when first starting, even after all the charging opportunities, which leads me to believe that for some reason the battery is not charging, either via the bike, or via a USB charger. I used to think it was not seated well in the cradle and it wasn't making good contact but I am now skeptical of that hypothesis. Bike has been ridden 2000 miles in last two weeks, e.g., Nav VI battery should be charged.

2) On the K1600 forum <https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/167866-nav-vi-battery-life-garmin.html> there is a thread with similar issues being noted. Worth reading if you having issues.

3) And for what it is worth, this site says they have replacement batteries for $60 <https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=30309> In desperation, I might try one, although mine is only one year old.
Scubaman likes this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2018, 06:57 AM (498)

Happened to me early on with new NAV VI on a 2016 R1200GS. It occurred about six times, always after a brief ride and restart. The rendezvous point for our group rides is 1.3 miles from where I live. Start bike, ride to rendezvous point, shut down, restart and no NAV. I often lead our club rides so it wasn't pretty. Checked pins (applied some Deoxit). I discovered that a factory reset would get it back. I called Garmin and they sent me a new--in the box--unit. On the third day out with the new unit, it did it again! WTF? So, during the process of installing a PC8 I removed from my previous bike I discovered that the GPS harness was tapped (posi tap) for the front Skene Lights right at the harness plug. After rewiring that all the way back to the PC8 under the rear seat, the NAV has never failed to start again. That was 7-months ago. I have no idea if removing that tap or perhaps simply unplugging and plugging the harness plug back in was the fix.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2018, 07:35 AM (524)

Link related to Nav VI power/startup issues

This link has a couple bullets related to power and startup issues: <https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=553253&topicTag=region_powerandcharging >

BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI Won't Turn On
If the BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI will not power on or if it is frozen on a specific screen, perform a soft reset. Soft Reset: Connect the Motorrad to a power source such as a computer or AC
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...fs07DOWUNdACmA

Red Battery Check-Mark or Device Not Charging on BMW NAV VI
If you have a BMW NAV VI that is not charging and displays a red check-mark in the battery indicator: Power the device on Whe
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2018, 10:19 AM (638) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatu View Post
This link has a couple bullets related to power and startup issues: <https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=553253&topicTag=region_powerandcharging >

BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI Won't Turn On
If the BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI will not power on or if it is frozen on a specific screen, perform a soft reset. Soft Reset: Connect the Motorrad to a power source such as a computer or AC
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch...fs07DOWUNdACmA

Red Battery Check-Mark or Device Not Charging on BMW NAV VI
If you have a BMW NAV VI that is not charging and displays a red check-mark in the battery indicator: Power the device on Whe
I did this and it did not fix the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode