BMW Nav VI Updates. - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-May-2018, 01:21 PM (765)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Sorry for the hijack of the thread, but it may help someone who is trying to decide between the Sena 10s and other models.

The 10s does NOT have multipoint pairing. The 20s does. It appears the SMH10 does also?

I do pair and connect the phone to the 665 (not NAV6), and when thus connected, the ONLY phone function available is phone proper, ie not music nor podcasts from the phone, but I do have caller id, a feature I really find useful. The is no native caller id on the sena 10s, according to Sena.

I am specifically talking about the 10s (not any other model).

Quote:
Most modern Helmet kits can also connect to two phones and a GPS at the same time.
yes, the 10s can do that. I'll say it again though: doing that with my system does not allow for any other phone function other than "phone proper."

Quote:
I personally don't connect the phone to the Nav VI and it all works fine
that's fine, but again, although the phone can be paired with the GPS, in order for my specific devices to allow podcasts from the phone to the SENA 10s, it, the phone, must only be connected to the 10s. Having the phone connected to the 665 allows for phone function only, but no podcasts or music from my phone. (I listen to xm and music through the 665, but would like to hear podcasts also--there is a workaround though it is messy. I can convert phone podcasts to mp3 s, load into the 665 as music files. Problem with that is that the mp3podcasts will be in the music mix)

Quote:
In both cases pair the Nav and phone to Sena. Press phone button on Sena to call and play music from phone on Sena. I've tried the music from the Nav, but I found from the phone less problematic. Worked that way for me for several years.
I'm guessing you do not have the 10s Sena
From Garmin: When the phone is paired and connected to the 665 the only phone function is the phone proper. No music from the phone, no podcasts from the phone
From Sena: You would need multipoint pairing and the 10s does not have that.
I asked Sena if I could pair and connect the phone to both the GPS and the headset at the same time. They said no, only one BT connection at a time. The double pairing is OK, but only ONE connection at a time.

To Vin and BMWBob...you both quote instructions for the 20s and the smh10---both of which have multipoint pairing. The 10s, my model and the current 10 series model, does not hae that feature, and that is likely the source of the frustration. Had I known more about this feature of multipoint pairing, I rpobably would've gotten the 20s. It seems the big marketing issue for the Sena 20s was the ability to connect with 10 riders. That meant nothing to me.

That your 20s and your smh 10 can do what I am trying to do, that's great and I am sure you enjoy that, as I would if I could do it also. I have both Garmin and sena telling me it cannot.

Also the lack of multipoint pairing on the 10s prevents listening to music from the gps IF you have your intercom connected with another headset. In that instance you CAN listen to music from the phone, but you lose music and audible nav from the gps.

I guess the take-away is if you are in the market for a BT headset, get one with multipoint pairing. The Sena 10s does not have it.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I wish they applied.

PS Though it is a hassle, I can have both the gps and the sena paired with the phone, but only one connection at any one time. It is a workaround, ie, if I want to listen to a podcast from my phone, I connect The Sena to my phone and the gps, but do not have the phone connected to the GPS. That has Sena's imprimatur. The downside, and maybe you have come across this--dealing with spam calls. With the phone connected to the gps, I can see the number calling in and ignore or answer. I lose that when the phone is not connected to the gps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-May-2018, 04:14 PM (885)

My set up works for me!
Sena SRL (20S tech) and Cardo Packtalk, depending on the helmet I use.

Both Bluetooth kits are connect to the NAV VI and the phone (Samsung Galaxy S8)
The phone is not connected to the NAV VI
The reason is that I use the bike for business and get calls often. The call quality is crap when connected through the NAV, as I have delays and echo.

I can listen to MP3 from the NAV VI through the Bluetooth kit and I can also listen to Music from the phone.

The only disadvantage of this set up is that I don't have live traffic updates via the phone.

It is not possible to use the apps for the Bluetooth Kit, when the phone and the Sena/Cardo are not connected to the phone.

Whatever works best for each individual
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2019, 03:32 PM (897)

Latest Update not so great?

Hi guys,
I just updated maps and software (have to check at home what version is on the device now) last week.
We did a 1,800km trip over 4 days and the Nav VI is behaving rather strange.
I had the "black Screen" twice, even though the device charged during the day.
Soft reset fixed this problem each time still annoying though.

The most annoying "feature" is that the unit switches off when the ignition is switching off, then reboots (BMW Motorrad on the screen), asks to agree with the terms and conditions and then again goes into "switching off" mode.
I had this happening at least 10 times.

I guess it is time to talk to Garmin, as this seems rather odd and I don't want to end up with a unit out of warranty.

Anybody else had something like this happening to their unit?

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode