Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
Your phone can only be connected to one device at a time. You have to choose the gps or the sena (10s in my case and a 20s may have different functionality).
You CAN connect the the phone to your GPS, but ONLY for phone functions--incl caller id, but not music or podcasts or books, etc. You can connect your phone to your 10s and get phone, music podcasts, etc, and navigation from your gps.
Connecting the 10s to the GPS allows for caller ID on your gps. Connecting it to your 10s allows phone, music, etc, but no readout on your gps, and the 10s does not have a caller ID function.
I wanted to have the phone connected to BOTH the gps AND the 10s concurrently--cannot be done, only one connection at a time. I wanted to hear podcasts from the phone, but have caller id on the gps--can't be done with my setup.
Yes, all of this IS confusing. In the past couple of days, trying to get the ability to have caller id from the gps, and the ability to listen to podcasts from my phone, I have been chatting with both Sena and Garmin, and they concur that what I want to do is not possible with current tech on the 10s (plead ignorance on other models)
Garmin said that even though there are standards for bluetooth, even same versions of BT on different devices do not play well together.
Garmin also said that there is a known issue of the initial connection having bad distorted loud sound and that the cure is reboot of either the garmin or the sena or both, and sometimes you have to do this a couple of times before you get good sound. Both also said that it did not matter which unit is turned on first
I will add that chatting with both companies was far better than anticipated. I found the techs prompt, knowledgeable and patient, and would rec the chat svc over telephone roulette.
In my case I was trying to get the technology to do something it couldn't (yet), and the chat sessions allowed me to sidestep the headaches of futility.
POI: "connecting" and "Pairing" are two different things as many, but not all know. Definitely part of the source of confusion. For many it is an easy arrangement, but for others, very frustrating.
Multipoint Bluetooth pairing allows the SMH10 to connect two HFP devices at the same time: mobile phone and GPS navigation. Follow the steps below to pair the GPS using the multipoint pairing. 1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
1. Pair your GPS to the 20S using the Mobile Phone Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the phone button for 5 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “phone pairing” and you see the LED flash red and blue rapidly.
2. While the 20S is in Mobile Phone Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your GPS and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.
3. Wait for the devices to pair together.
4. Pair your mobile phone to the 20S using the Second Mobile Phone Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the Jog Dial for 6 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “intercom pairing” and you see the LED flash red rapidly then within 2 seconds press the phone button to hear the voice prompt say “second mobile phone pairing” and you see the LED flash blue rapidly.
5. While the 20S is in Second Mobile Phone Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.