Need some advice - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 30-Oct-2007, 09:24 PM (100) Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Amazed
Need some advice

I have a Garmin 2820 GPS and was wondering what bracket I should use to accomadate to 07-1200 GS. Would appreciate bracket info.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 31-Oct-2007, 05:48 PM (950)
Middle aged hooligan

I used a RAM mount with a U-bolt attachment (see:Handle Bar Base Options
RAM-B-231Z) - http://65.102.174.116/rammount/produ...ber=RAM-B-231Z

Works pretty well. I have had no problems with vibrations or bouncing. Make sure you use the short mounting arm.
Attached Images

Steve

'07 R12GS
'03 K12GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2007, 04:57 AM (456)

GPS mount

The above mentioned RAM works really well. I put some tape around the handle bar so the U-Bolt and clamp would not scratch it.

You might also look at the Touratech mount. They have a locking one. It will clamp onto the handlebar crossbar or other places. I drilled two holes in the mounting plate to mount it onto the RAM ball. Works good.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-Dec-2007, 08:35 AM (608)

I use a MIgSel mount on my GS. A short ram arm is best as said above. Best of all, the MigSel also has another two mounting points either side of the centre one should you feel the need to add anything else.
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2007, 02:30 PM (854)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggy View Post
I use a MIgSel mount on my GS. A short ram arm is best as said above. Best of all, the MigSel also has another two mounting points either side of the centre one should you feel the need to add anything else.
Smeggy. Is this product available in the US? Adventurers Workshop dose not have it on there website.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2007, 02:50 PM (868)

Ooops, I don't think it would be. However, I'm sure you can order one from the man himself.

http://www.migsel.com/store/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-Jan-2008, 06:33 AM (523)

Having tried a number of options and have a cupboard full of various adaptors which did not work too well. I finalized on a RAM mount on left bar + Touratech bracket + short RAM arm.

It's not the best looking but it is by far the most practical.

The GPS position is perfect as it's close to my left hand and is viewed just to the left of the clocks. It does not vibrate at all and is easy to fit and remove.

I originally had it on the screen bracket with a Garmin mount. It was too far away to reach, especially with a tank bag and it was easy to scratch the screen getting to the tiny locking screw on the Garmin mount. I forgot to do up the screw one day and the gps fell off on a mountain pass. Changed to the Touratech mount and that is much more secure. It has a key lock which is much better than the little screw although it does not need locking to be secure.
Attached Images

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-Jan-2008, 06:56 AM (539)

I use a Gadget Guy mount on a Touratech cross bar. Line of sight, doesn't block the gauges and it close enough to operate and see without reaching.

Different bike, same idea:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-Jan-2008, 07:49 PM (075)
dec

Kurt do you use a tankbag . . . if so what kind? I like the cross bar setup, but concerned it would not work with GS tank bag

dc in DC
'06 R12GSA
IBA# 24390
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2008, 02:47 AM (366)
Sparky GS'r

Like Kurt I use the Touratech cross bar, with the GPS mount slighty to one side. I can see all the clocks and idiot lights with out problem.

RE: Tankbags, I use a Bagalux tankbag and it doesn't foul on the bracket or GPS in anyway and I can still read the GPS too.

Rock Hard & Ride Safe. Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1200GS Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 R1200GS Due soon!

I'm only wearing black until they find something darker!

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode