BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums - View Single Post - Anakee Adventure tires
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 24-May-2019, 01:04 PM (753) Thread Starter
GrayBeard

Guys, I appreciate all the advice about what I should do but my question was about that specific tire from Michelin. My GS has spent the majority of it's life off the pavement on TKC80 or Wilds and I'm very familiar with the wear characteristic, on-road, and off-road performance of those tires. I have been using my GS as a true dual sport bike riding single tracks, climbing through steep streams and ditches, and hilly rock gardens. I now have another dual sport bike that I'll use for those rides and so my GS is going to be mainly a road bike but I'm sure I'll want to continue to ride forest roads like out in the George Washington and Jefferson forests in Virginia or the Allegheny forests in PA. I think my use for the GS is now a true 80/20 type profile so I know that I don't want a pure touring tire like the RoadSmarts or Road 5, etc and think for my use now I don't need the vibration and noise of the 50/50 tires.

I rode all last weekend with a guy on a GSA with Shinko 705s and he had that bike on rails in the twisties. I was truly impressed with the grip and the quietness of those tires. A pair of the Shinkos can be purchased for just what the rear Michelin costs so if I was trying to be cost conscious I'd just buy the 705s. I'm asking specifically about the new Michelins because they are a multi-compound tire that should be a great performer on the street and hold up to some light off-road use. But if someone with experience on them tells me they stink in the rain (for example) or they roar like a 50:50 tire then I'll just keep looking or buy the Stinkos.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome