R1200GS Forum banner

Re-fitting tires / swapping rubbers?

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Candubrain 
#1 ·
Was up at Smart Riding Adventures a few weekends ago riding the 2019 850GS and 1250GS offroad (dirt roads, dirt & sand trails, easy single track) and I appear to have pick up some sort of virus that wants me to take my 2016 R1200GS off pavement. Weird. So I have some tires on order**.

That said, my Metzeler Roadtec 01s (Metzeler fanboi here) still have some useable life in them.

Please excuse the ignorant question but, if I swap my Metzelers out for some offroad worthy rubber, is it safe to put them back on again later? Does removing them mangle them at all? My long distance touring buddies aren't on off road capable bikes (well, you *can* take a Road Glide Ultra off road I suppose) so I could see me putting them back on for such a trip (or just keep the offroad tires and find some side roads for myself).

**Anlas Capra X ... never heard of them before but the reviews seem pretty good, and my dealer has them on for $100 each.

#2 ·
It depends

I took my 2/3 life left Shink 805's off of my 15' GS and put on 705's to go from FL to WA with the hope of putting them back. I went to an independent shop as my local dealer will not install tires not purchased from them. That said the 805's were damaged during the removal process and can't be reused.

Some would suggest buying a second set of rims but that's a bit of coin to have sitting around. That's why I stick with Shinko, as they are hard to beat for the money.

BTW, been to Kingston for work several times and it's a gorgeous city.

#3 ·
That's one of the beauty's of having your own tire machine. If its a bike w/o mutiple wheel sets I'll put fresh rubber on for a trip then come home and switch back to finish up the old tires.

Another benefit of changing tires for your friends is they have 1/2 worn tires and want new rubber for a trip I get their takeoffs to finish up. I also try and keep a few good used tires in various sizes around so if someone traveling through has a tire issue I can get then up and running for free.

Actually it'd be nice to start a registry of folks with tire changers that keep takeoff around so that folks could reference if they are traveling and have tire related issue.

Reactions: fdbm17
#5 ·
As long as you don't bugger the bead, no issue. When you think about it, it's no different than pulling a tire to patch a tube.

Took the same course last year, great guys. Did you have John for an instructor? If so, did he show you the tap your nose trick?

If I may ask, who is your dealer, that's great pricing for those tires
brian

#7 ·
Took the same course last year, great guys. Did you have John for an instructor? If so, did he show you the tap your nose trick?

If I may ask, who is your dealer, that's great pricing for those tires
brian
I had John for an instructor 2 years ago when I did a half day of Motorcross training with them. For the half day GS training I had ... Louise I think her name was? Everyone is awesome up there. Fairly certain Clinton is literally the nicest guy on the planet. Planning to do the Level 1 GS with them next year.

Ottawa Goodtime Centre / Ottawa Motorrad has the Anlas Capra R and Capra X on sale for $99.95CAD per tire (installation extra). About $330CAD installed.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies all. Helpful feedback. My dealer (Ottawa Goodtime) is the same ... they won't install tires not bought from them, and I got the Metzelers from another Motorrad shop (Endras). Which is fine. OGC offered to name a number of other places in their area that would do the work, and I'm pretty sure my local guy would do it too. Or I could do it myself (a tire change machine would be nice!)

Either way, I'm not super hung up on loosing the mileage if I decide to just ditch the Metzelers. I should probably leave the Metzelers on at least until my Lake Huron loop trip is done (and ride the hell out of them), but it's just one set of tires and I am jonesing to start doing some light (very light ... still need crash bars) gravel & dirt.
@kramdunc - Kingston is great. Been here since 1994. Easy access to Toronto / Ottawa / Montreal, and plenty of good riding!

#11 ·
If you invest in a tire machine they pay for themselves very quickly. Not only do you get to order tires online for 20 to 50% cheaper than you pay at the dealer you save $40 to $50 per tire on the changing. You also can switch tires back and forth to get all the mileage out of them saving another 10 to 30%. Some other benefits are you change tires when you want them changed. No taking off a 1/2 day of work to get to the dealer or dropping the bike at the dealer and then having to get someone to pick you up and drop you back off once the tires are changed.

My machine (NoMAr was around $500 USD) and within 3 set of tires it was more than paid for. Since then I have changed 100's of tires for friends who either give be $20 per tire or a case or 2 of beer.

Actually this year I have quit accepting any compensation from friends for tire changes. My machine has paid for itself several times over and now its time to give back and hopefully get paid only in good Karma.

Reactions: fdbm17
#13 ·
Ok, well, I am slowly being convinced. I'll likely get my dealer to install the Capras, strap the Metzelers to the pillion and look at getting a machine. I am planning to do the BMW MC Ottawa Advanced Rider Training / pseudo-track day at Calabogie next Spring ... the Metzelers would do nicely there.

Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.