Best Overnight in an 11,000 mile ride - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crucian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 24-Nov-2017, 07:37 AM (567) Thread Starter

Garage
Best Overnight in an 11,000 mile ride

My neighbor in the islands is of Norwegian decent. His mother who died when he was very young, hailed from a place in Saskatchewan, Yellow Grass. Don got in touch with me and, "if convenient", could I visit Yellow Grass and take photos of the grave stones of his Mother's side of the family. I looked at the map and realized it would only require a short detour.

Late afternoon I rolled into Yellow Grass. It is a small place indeed. I knocked on a door asking if there was a place to camp. The guy says, well yes and gave me directions, one turn off. When I followed the wrong directions I ended up at the cemetery, on the edge of the village. There was a mown section across the dirt road from the cemetery and well before dusk, I pitched camp. A few cars and trucks passed by and all gave me a good once over. Finally a truck passed, turned around and stopped near my camp. As he rolled his window down I smiled and asked, "you going to run me off"? Naw he said, I'm just curious. I explained my mission and we talked for a while about Yellow Grass when his phone rang, the dinner bell. I received and accepted a dinner invitation with he and his wife and had a wonderful evening.

After dark I rode back to my camp and low and behold, the cemetery was full of twinkling lights. I walked across the road to investigate and it turns out that instead of silk flowers or other tokens, every grave was marked with a solar path light. I went to sleep never feeling better about a cemetery. The next morning I located the family plot, took my photos and rode off into Western Saskatchewan
Pterodactyl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 24-Nov-2017, 08:32 AM (605)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
That is a very cool story! What a memory!
have pictures?
I often visit cemeteries on my rides as they are often very sobering moments and an opportunity for time travel in a way.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 24-Nov-2017, 09:06 AM (629) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
have pictures?
Yes, I do have pictures but at the moment with only a temp roof, small gen set power and no internet I'm on cell data and walking all over my limit, as it is. Soon come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode