Questions on Germany Austria trip - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Jun-2018, 12:48 AM (242)

Timmelsjoch

Don't miss Timmelsjoch Alpine Hochalpenstrasse (Passo Rombo) at the Italien/Austrian border. There's also an impressive motorcycle museum in 2200m next to the ticket station.

Have fun :-)

Best regards

Henrik Even
Denmark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-Aug-2018, 11:13 AM (675)

more info

I'm looking into doing an Alps trip next year but I was thinking of renting in Lyon, France and then base camp out of Andermatt? any advice?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-Aug-2018, 07:02 AM (501)

I suggest you get John Hermann's book, Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Beyond, it is the Bible for riding in the Alps. Be sure and ride the Dolomites along with the Alps. You will need a vignette (toll) sticker to ride the motorways in Switzerland, they will be available at the Swiss border and speeding can result in a very pricey ticket. You should get familiar with the road signs and since you will be in France learn some of their unusual rules of the road along with how to navigate traffic circles, using your turn signals is the key.

Since your starting in Lyon, ride the Route des Grandes Alpes and Route de Napoleon, there are also some amazing roads in the national parks along the French and German border. From Lyon you are also near the Pyrennes at the border of Spain and France, that area is great along with the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain.

I have not stayed in Andermatt, there are so many small B&B's in Europe to choose from.
dcysurfer likes this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-Aug-2018, 06:04 PM (961)

Garage
+1 on Hermann's book!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2018, 08:21 AM (556)

Max at Rent a Boxer has everything you need for a great trip
https://rent-a-boxer.com/en/home-en/
Just did it in July !
Insurance and accessories included in the price!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-Sep-2018, 09:40 PM (111)

Garage
Also check out Obersalzburg

Also check out Obersalzburg, Grossglockner was fun and if you’re into historical sights in travels it is close to Kelsfteinhaus. Lots of good roads in that area.

-DaPfunk: 2018 GSA.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-Oct-2018, 09:25 AM (601)

Ask the ASI Auto Shipment Company and the Army

Port in Germany ist Bremerhaven. There are some Ports in the US und Mexico (The "Volkswagen-Ship" to Mexico: Port Santa Crux) with ASI-Terminals. They have individual prices. You don't need a container. Ask: kevin.stuppenhusen (at) asigermany.de Most Motobikes and Cars with an US-Licens-Plate driving here are ownd by US-Army Members. The US-Army runs one or two Hotels here ( Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch), try ist, ask the Army or the Hotel. Greetings: Georg
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2018, 02:52 AM (328)

My wife and I planned a trip to a HD rally in Italy, landing in Frankfurt and then driving to our destination. The trip was to last 3 weeks. Failing to be able to rent a HD in Germany, France, or London (all booked) we decided to fly our bike from Boston. Turned out that the price to rent vs. bringing our own bike was roughly the same. We booked a company here in the states to arrange all the paperwork and the flight. It was an absolutely amazing experience. We were able to pack the bike with all our necessities, watch it get loaded on a pallet and into the plane and off loaded in Germany. Customs in Germany were great. No search of the bike at all and not only that, my bike arrived with a dead battery and a customs guy offered to take me to the local HD dealer for new one! Met many wonderful and helpful people in Germany, France, Montecarlo, and Italy. Man, those guys in Germany ride their bikes at warp speed compared to the big old fat bike I was riding. Look for the "leg" wave as they go by - I guess because taking your hands off the bar at the speed is suicidal!
If you end up flying your own bike over and use an experienced company, you're in for a treat. Driving a bike you know and also being able to load it up is a treat. Good luck.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-Nov-2018, 12:07 PM (755)

Renting near Munich

try Karl Maier at Neufinsing, close to Munich airport and very reliable.
motorrad-kmaier.de
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Dec-2018, 07:09 AM (548)

Some excellent pass roads have been mentioned - you really can't go wrong. There is a a great road in Austria that may be on your way to-ing and fro-ing, it's called the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse. I stumbled upon it serendipitously on my way to meet a friend at the Bodensee. There's a toll, but it's well worth it. There's not many East West roads and it beats the Autostrada to pieces.

My only other advice is to get some quality paper maps to supplement the GPS. GPS is great for turn by turn, but sometimes you have to see the whole thing to string it all together. You can't go wrong with the Michelin maps, something you can pin up on your office wall and use a highlighter to mark the "must sees" that you can then link together for your route.
slowriding and dcysurfer like this.

Dave
2018 R1200GS
2003 K1200RS
2010 Ducati 696 Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
europe, germany, rentals, shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode