Questions on Germany Austria trip - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Feb-2018, 01:32 PM (814) Thread Starter

Questions on Germany Austria trip

Hi all. I am planing a trip through Germany and Austria. I live in California. I have a 2017 GSA and was wondering if anyone has ever shipped their bikes to Europe ? Or is it just easier and cheaper to rent a GSA in Germany? ANY and all help is welcome including destinations and such. I will be going in September 2018 and have about 3 weeks to screw around!! Thanks!

David
Southpaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Feb-2018, 07:26 PM (059)

Hi David,
Welcome to the forum. I’m new to it myself and probably don’t have much info to share but happy to throw in my 2c.
From the perspective of hassle you’re better on renting over there. Shipping would be cheaper than flying, you would need to go through customs and also get insurance which you could get here for a high price or through the ADAC (equivalent to AAA) there. Three weeks is a short window and if you ship there maybe a chance it doesn’t arrive your expected day.
There are several rental options over there. BMW Motorrad in Munich offering rentals (bikes and gear) and probably a good bit of additional info.
I know there are options in Frankfurt as well.
Google “motorcycle rentals Germany” and you will get several results.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Feb-2018, 10:41 PM (195)

Rent-a-Boxer

I can’t speak for shipping a bike from the States since I purchased mine here in Germany. But I do have experience renting GS bikes for friends from Rent-a-Boxer (https://rent-a-boxer.com/en/home/). Max is a great guy and his prices are very reasonable in comparison to others. We rented two late model GS bikes from him last summer and they were in perfect shape. He has two locations. If you’re planning a trip to the Alps, his Münsingen location is close to Stuttgart and positioned well for a trip to the mountains. He will also pick you up at the Stuttgart airport. I have no financial intest in his business, just a very satisfied customer. One last note, he limits his rentals to GS only bikes. Good luck and enjoy your trip. You’ll have a great experience.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Feb-2018, 05:13 AM (467)

I may be able to help with the destinations as I have been there 12 times and a month at a time. 3 weeks is a little short but doable. September is a great time to go too. it all depends on what you want to see, churches, museums or small villages???? unless you want to see the black forest region (fly into Stuttgart) I would prefer landing in munich....are you on the bike the entire time? are you alone? you want o fly out of munich too? let me know and I can work on an itinerary, I've done this before.
I used to gain 15 lbs over there, come back and go on diet and then go back a few months a later and do it all over again! love the beer and food! I visited each spring and fall and don't know which I liked better, it's all good. let me know if I can help...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Feb-2018, 02:02 PM (834)

I shipped my K1600GT last year from the west coast to Frankfurt but I am leaving it for a few years so I can return and travel each summer. For me it was just a numbers issue, what does it cost to rent for X number of days VS the cost to ship. At 3 weeks it might be cheaper to rent but if cost isn't the biggest issue go ahead and fly it over. Air Canada Cargo will release it's prices in late April or May and if you fly with them they give you a very good price to ship your bike. The issue is you have to take the bike to one of the Air Canada facilities in Canada. I have not heard of a better price to air freight a bike and the service is always rated very highly. I used Lufthansa and rode it to the LA cargo center, total cost for bike shipping and customs clearance was $2K one way. Lufthansa does offer door to door pick up and delivery, that is included in the price. Sadly no discount if you ride it to the cargo depot.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Feb-2018, 05:07 PM (963)

Hey there. I just made my first trip to Germany/Austria last September. (gained 10 lbs). I am lucky as I have a friend that lives there ( Salzburg,Austria) and he has two bikes so I had a 1994 R 1100 RS for me to use. ( He was on the big K bike). I was not entirely comfortable on the RS so I looked into renting a newer GS (its what I ride now) but they were about $150 US per day. Transfer that to Euro's and your talking over 2k to rent a bike for a couple of weeks. Anyway I made do with the RS and it's riding position and we did some great roads. The Grossglockner in Austria was at the top of the list. Just incredible. Unfortunately the day we did that it was snowing a bit at the top so that made things interesting. Bring some warm riding gear. The mountains are high there. Hopefully you have a tour guide or know someone there to ride with. I found navigating and learning the road system there quite difficult. I just followed the leader.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 06:00 AM (500)
R1200GS driver couple

Passo dello Stelvio:

Its a wonderfull mountain pass (tarmack) with spectacular views.
The top is at 2.757 meter, there are some restaurants and hotels.

Starting place is the town in austria called Pfunds,
https://goo.gl/maps/5WU2f3FUyC72

Then the Stelvio (Italy)
https://goo.gl/maps/B1aW27znTFu

If you like, I have this one (147 km) and several realy great motorcycle routes in Austria and Italy for you
for Garmin, but I have them too for the TomTom rider.

This is also a great ride: the Kaunertaler Gletscherstrasse.
https://goo.gl/maps/btgoiL6DN2m

Just let me know and I am happy to email them to you.
BTW this is the Stelvio
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnR1200GS; 09-Feb-2018 at 06:17 AM (512).
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 07:04 AM (545)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Wow. Those are some nice switchbacks.

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 09-Feb-2018 at 10:16 AM (678).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 07:55 AM (580)

Now that is sexy!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 05:42 AM (488)

Have fun!

I can also recommend Stelvio pass!
Crowded sometimes, but still awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
europe, germany, rentals, shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode