R1200GS Forum banner

Riding the MABDR and a quick intro

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mudfoot 
#1 ·
Greetings ... I'm new to the form, as I really haven't posted anything until now. I wanted to say thanks to all the people that post ideas and trips on the forums. I default to the R1200GS.info page first when I am seeking some information.

I took advantage of the BMW year end incentives in December and picked up a lowered R1200GS. I have been a street rider since I got around to getting my license. But there has always been a part of me that remembers the old trails from the small town in Texas I grew up in. Nothing challenging on those old trails, Just a way to get to the swimming pool or down to the coast with out riding on the road.

That brings me to now. My nephew and I are going to ride the MABDR in July. We are new to off-roading and this is our first trip. We wanted to start with something that is entry level and work our way up slowly to more and bigger challenges. I enjoy being out in the woods, and I think this track is going to be a good start for us. I'm 56 y/o and I really don't want to do the advanced skill riding challenges that I see on youtube. Simple two tracks are good with me, with the occasional challenge that will make me get off the bike and work a solution.

I'm looking for suggestions from anyone that has ridden the MABDR. Places to eat, camping, or just "must see" locations. How far can I realistically go in a day. How long did it take you to finish. I'm running the factory Anakee III's, will I have problems with the street biased tires. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers ... MudFoot

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.