Canada's Huge - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-Sep-2018, 04:35 PM (899)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
so, yes, Canada is a big place and it would help to know more about your itinerary than the word "Canada." Where did you start, where are you going? Are you on the road now?

That Goose (along with another nearby) is in Wawa, a Native American word referring to the number of geese in the area, and probably related to the sounds geese make. Wawa, along with the Terry Fox memorial is on the north shore of Lake Superior, on the way to Thunder Bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 05:23 AM (433) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
so, yes, Canada is a big place and it would help to know more about your itinerary than the word "Canada." Where did you start, where are you going? Are you on the road now?

That Goose (along with another nearby) is in Wawa, a Native American word referring to the number of geese in the area, and probably related to the sounds geese make. Wawa, along with the Terry Fox memorial is on the north shore of Lake Superior, on the way to Thunder Bay.
Good points and I'll put that constructive critique to good use. Like the disclaimer said it's my first crack at this. I've started editing it to better explain our tour. Cheers
Dr. Strangelove and rsmith like this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 01:25 PM (768) Thread Starter

Another "Bucket Lister" took this one for us. Met a few of them on the trip. The billboard is right on the Trans Canada which we stayed off of as much as we could. At least for a second you are at the center of everything.
Attached Images

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 01:57 PM (790) Thread Starter

We got caught in winds that even freaked out the locals. Apparently it's been getting worse every year. That's how we ended up in Swift Current. Found a room, liquor store, bar and a restaurant all attached. MAN that's fate. By now we've been through some crazy weather and put in a couple 700+km days. Finally starting to FEEL it. Next day we saw mountains. Every ache pain and bitchable moment evaporated. The first stop was emotional. We were in an amazing place and all was right with the world at least for a moment. From then on it was endless views that after a few double "wows" would leave you speechless. We were fresh and ready all over again. Hard to describe, it really has to be experienced. Our final stop was over booked so we headed for Yoho which wasn't even on the route. That caused another 600+Km day. Had a minor tumble in a muddy construction zone during a heavy storm but finally got to a camp site wet tired and hungry. Good times.

1st view worth every mile, 1st stop was epic, The 40 a gravel pass into Canmore, Epic views and epic pot holes. This is where the chain guard got mangled. Sue kept the camera busy.
Attached Images

goethe likes this.

Last edited by Also Ran; 13-Sep-2018 at 02:01 PM (792).
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2018, 05:33 PM (939)

Garage
Thanks for the updates and great photos. A broad turn-by-turn route would be very helpful.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2018, 04:52 AM (411) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goethe View Post
Thanks for the updates and great photos. A broad turn-by-turn route would be very helpful.
Not sure how but I'll see if I can load up the entire rout. That would be easier. We had a couple of un routed detours but for the most part stuck with our plan. I printed daily maps which I put in the tank bag to coincide with the daily GPS routing. We laid the maps out around a huge table when we were done and they went all the way around. It was great to be able to walk around the table doing the Remember That! I also had a book with Start, Destination, Half way point, Distance, Time, Points of interest, Phone number of camp grounds and the address of the local stores for supplies. We used a program called Tyre to map our route and loaded it to an app on my phone called Osmand. Both Free! Worked really well. Since then Tyre and Google maps have had a falling. Tyre wasn't looking so good last time I checked which is to bad. Osmand has quirks when you use it as a stand alone but with loaded routs it was spot on. We also used an app called Wiki Camps which will give you a map of all the camp grounds around you which was helpful. Anyway I`ll look into loading the actual mapping. Cheers

Why not load another picture, this is southwest of Calgary on the 40. It goes through Peter Loughheed Provincial Park. Don`t know if I`d do it again unless a grader goes through first. It wasn`t like pleasant off roading it was washboard and pot holes that made the going brutal on the bike. My keyboard is crapping out so I`m off.
Attached Images

Last edited by Also Ran; 14-Sep-2018 at 05:02 AM (418).
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2018, 07:24 AM (516)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Was asked to do a ride report of sorts on my recent cross Canada trip. This is my first attempt so apologies if it's not up to snuff.
Canada's Huge. Perth Ontario to Ladysmith Vancouver Island

It took 6 months of planning to do 20 days of riding going 10,200 Km in Good Bad and Ugly weather. We had flat tires, chewed and melted the chain guard, electrical faults, ALL the head lights blew, the clutch fluid all leaked out and the chain was a slinky. All in all a perfect trip.

The Strom Ready To Go
Canada is huge! Recently back from a trip to St. John's, Nfld, from Kingston, ON. Miami is about 350kms and, with no ferry ride, about 12 hours closer (Google time).

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2018, 08:25 AM (559)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Hey, AlsoRan...
strange thing happened AFTER I posted...Posts 2 through 7 appeared out of nowhere. They weren't there when I posted. Sorry for any confustion and yes, it was constructive criticism--Ride reports are too few around here, so thanks, even if on a Strom!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2018, 04:38 PM (901)

Garage
Enjoyed the pics and the report..not quite up to dr.strangeglove standards but hey,for a guy and his girl on a Strom itís pretty good..it sure is a big stretch of land east to west...hope to expierience it myself in the next couple years.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2018, 06:42 AM (487) Thread Starter

When we pulled into YoHo National Park it was full. An elderly lady saw our sorry state and offered to share her site. We got set up just before the skies opened up again and it rained all night. We found out much later we had slept at the foot of Mt. Stephen. There are some pictures of it but we still haven't found them. Next day, Soggy and a little weathered and chilled to the bone we packed up all the wet gear from a rainy night with St.Steve and set out for Blue River BC.This takes us from YoHo to Banff to Jasper to Mt Robson to Blue River. Like I said 600+km. It's a famous ride for a reason and all words fall short of doing it justice so I'll just load lots of Pictures. If and when we do it again we'll take way longer here. The winding roads and staggering views were pretty much constant the entire day. We wanted to stop early but again accommodations were slim pickins. This time apparently due to a rodeo in the area. We made our way to Blue River in the end and got a great room. The camping gear was drenched so it was hanging everywhere. Some dinner, wine and cider and we were well on the mend. So the pictures. 1.A frosty start but this mountain came with a coffee shop. 2. Half way up the accent. 3.The road behind and below us. 4. The RAIN! at least revved up some more waterfalls and eventually the temperature went up a little.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode