Just keep riding - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By bond
  • 1 Post By bond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 06:00 AM (458) Thread Starter

Red face Just keep riding

The objective was to just keep riding. I didn't care if I went sightseeing, or what I ate and where. I just wanted to be on two wheels and keep going.

Solo ride - no pillion, no ride mates

Day 1 - Baltimore to Montreal

Heavy rain in pockets interspersed with hot weather.

The formula was - get wet until you can't stand it no more, then stop under a bridge to put on rain suit overalls over riding gear, and get sprayed with motor oil emulsified rain water. Rain stops and it gets hot and steamy, so start sweating inside the rain suit. Stop under another bridge, remove overalls, stow them away, start riding.

Heavy rain in the night is fun, especially with spray from 18 wheelers as you pass them.

Clearwater lights ROCK!

Upstate NY does not have good cell coverage so my directions stopped working. Thankfully it was just a straight road to the border.

Standing in light rain, and inching forward to Immigration Control was fun.

Day 2 - Montreal to Toronto

Warm, sunny weather. Oh goody. Nice scenery, and tried some Canadian food in Montreal, and on the way. Delicious stuff!

Then up going to a Dominican restaurant in Toronto.

Day 3 - Toronto to Cleveland

Toronto has this 6-7 lane highway. Wide open road, and there are 20 cars on my side from here to the horizon. In spite of the wide open road, this dumbo was texting, and almost ran me over.

I'm thinking of adding an air horn to my bike.

Then it got Hot as DUCK. And a slow moving parking lot / traffic jam that lasted for 3 hours - seems like the entire Canadian population was heading to Niagara falls.

I was loaded all around so I couldn't really zip in an out of traffic, but I did my best.

Immigration coming back into the country was tough. Whoa.. this officer wanted to know EVERYTHING. Once she was satisfied with my answers, she actually became super friendly, "Welcome back and ride safe".

Lots of construction here, and lots of people wanting to prove that their trucks can go faster than you in traffic. SMH.

Day 4 - Cleveland to Baltimore

This should have been an easy ride, but my body was telling me all about it at this point.

The road from Pittsburgh is gorgeous - winding through the hills, beautiful fog, I just want to go back and forth on this road a ton of times.

I made the most stops on this leg of the journey, just from the stiffness. I should have taken some Ibuprofen the night before, and that would have relaxed me a little more.

Back home at midnight.

Slightly over 1600 miles in 3.5 days. Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming!
GrayBeard, rsmith, LuiGee and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2018, 12:03 PM (710)

Need photos!

Please?

Wes

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Sep-2018, 03:32 AM (355)

Garage
Nice report. Thanks. I too was surprised by border control that stopped me and inspected my paniers for 20 mins. Which road did you take from Pittsburgh ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Sep-2018, 05:28 AM (436) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Need photos!

Please?

Wes
Sorry, I didn't take any of me close to the bike. I should fix that next time.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2018, 05:26 AM (435) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goethe View Post
Nice report. Thanks. I too was surprised by border control that stopped me and inspected my paniers for 20 mins. Which road did you take from Pittsburgh ?
Attached Images

Subaruvich likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2018, 07:17 AM (512)

The 401 is an awful road that unfortunately I've had to drive far to often. If you go a bit north and take the 7 it's a lil better but there's no escaping TO if you want to head south west. There is rarely a good time to get through Toronto. Before 6am or after 7pm and even then it's a roll of the dice. Border crossings have gotten to be such a mess I don't bother unless it's for a long long run. I'd head south more often if it wasn't. Sounds like you had an itch to ride and you scratched it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2018, 08:10 AM (549)

Garage
Bond, thanks for the map. Looks like you took 76 out of Pittsburgh. It is a nice road. Others have commented the local roads are also quite nice but tack an extra 1-2 hours onto your ride from Pittsburgh to Baltimore or in my case 3 hours extra to New Hope PA.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2018, 05:36 PM (941)

Garage
Wow that’s a long painful ride on the 401..next time get north out of Montreal and go around the top of Ottawa and stay north as you work your way through the highlands and the Muskokas and around the west side of Lake Simcoe before you work your way back..some good riding you missed through Ontario..if you ever do it again,I’m sure we can help you out with a route you would enjoy..you could avoid the whole over congested slab they call the 401
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-Sep-2018, 09:48 AM (617)

That sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode