European tours ? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 02:02 PM (793) Thread Starter

European tours ?

Any feedback about Edelwiess Tours ? They seem to be the biggest but there must be others.
We are planning a European tour next year in Austria, Slovenia, Croatia. 2 up on a 1200GS or RT1200.
Do people bring all their own riding gear from North America ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 08:02 PM (043)

I have used Ayres Adventures and they are GREAT !!! I know some people that have also used Beach's Motorcycle Adventures and are happy with them as well. Both are North America based company. Ayres has employees based out of Europe that know all the best roads.
Candubrain likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-Oct-2018, 09:26 AM (601)

I have used Edelweiss a couple of times, great company as is support, hotels, guides and well maintained bikes, no complaints. The area you are looking at for a tour has excellent riding. Yes, bring your own gear. I used a large travel bag for golf clubs to pack all our gear and boots while helmets were carry on baggage.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 25-Nov-2018, 03:35 PM (899)

I've looked at the European tour companies, but never can get past the price increase for a passenger. While I could afford to go by myself, adding my wife seems to add an exorbitant amount to the tour price. Often nearly doubles the price. Don't see how they can justify it, since we'd share the bike and the room??? Am I missing something?
Candubrain likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 07:36 AM (567)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormike View Post
I've looked at the European tour companies, but never can get past the price increase for a passenger. While I could afford to go by myself, adding my wife seems to add an exorbitant amount to the tour price. Often nearly doubles the price. Don't see how they can justify it, since we'd share the bike and the room??? Am I missing something?
I've noticed the same thing, I'd like to know where the additional expense is as well

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 07:44 AM (572)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormike View Post
Are you sure they weren't assuming double occupancy on rooms even for single riders (that is, you ride one-up but share a room with some other guy)? I recall seeing a couple tours that had this assumption buried in fairly small print. Only noticed it when I saw a higher rate for solo rider/single occupancy lodging.

I'm getting interested in a Euro-tour, probably not for a couple years (after the wife retires). Not a GS thing, as for two-upping we'd probably need something like a K16GTL. Somewhere, I saw a reference to special licensing requirements if you're over 65 (which I will be in a matter of weeks). Anybody know anything about that? Just additional paperwork for getting an international driver's permit, or a written/eye test, or what?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 09:15 AM (636)

Here's a good example I just took off the Edelweiss web site. Swiss Alps tour, Solo rider, single room, R1200gs=$3910. Add passenger and share the room, price increases by $1500! to a total of $5270! Too rich for my blood. Do they really think an extra passenger is going to eat $1500 worth of meals? I could see $500, but not $1500. The other tour groups are just as bad, if not worse. I've decided to just rent a bike in Germany and take my chances at getting lost...a lot cheaper!
slowriding and OKBMW like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 02:10 PM (840)

Garage
They know that some guys/gals cant get away for these trips without their significant other.
jaxon and Grendel like this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 02:59 PM (874)

Garage
Not sure about riding in Croatia or Slovenia, but I've ridden two self-guided motorcycle trips to the Alps. Once two-up and one time solo. Both times on a big GS. Rented both times near Munich. Rode through Southern Germany/Bavaria, Austria, Northern Italy/Dolomites, Swizerland, Liechtenstein, etc. Easy to do on your own after reading one of John Hermann's books...Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Beyond. Late May / early June is a good time to go and avoids a lot of the European vacationers in the high season summer months. Early-to-mid September is good too. Highly recommended!
Grendel likes this.

Last edited by SoCalGuy; 26-Nov-2018 at 03:05 PM (878).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 29-Nov-2018, 12:02 AM (251)

My biggest problem is that the prices are in US dollars, by the time I do the conversion to AUS dollars it becomes outrageously expensive.
Haysie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode