6Likes
  • 5 Post By Ayep
  • 1 Post By Ayep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2018, 03:40 AM (361) Thread Starter

Garage
More of the Alps (never enough)

Hi all,

Had a few days off so decided on an improvised trip from home (Aix en Provence) to Grenoble. The shortest route didn't seem very appealing, and the weather had been splendid, so I slight detour was in order. I was an 8 hour trip to get there (7h driving) and a 10 hour back (8h of driving). I had an alternative route for the way back but that initial itinerary was just so epic I decided to use the same one, just add an extra pass onto it (couldn't get enough!).

The first 3 pics, including panorama ones (hope the size is not a problem), are at the Izoard pass. The last one at the Agnel pass between France and Italy (picture of the french side).

It will be snowing this weekend, I got that trip in just in time.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2018, 07:47 AM (533)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
just WOW!

I've driven that area many times; it is spectacular. I particularly liked exploring the old WW2 gun placements, a sobering and awesome experience to be sure.

The little towns up there, with their "bougies" shops make the area even more interesting. I distinctly remember crossing into Italy up there, and with my two teenage daughters in tow, the young Italian guards were very friendly to us!

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 27-Oct-2018 at 07:50 AM (534).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2018, 01:16 PM (761) Thread Starter

Garage
Do you remember where having seen the canon placements ? I suspect it's ever so slightly north of where I was. And when was that?

But yes the landscapes and roads are just staggering. Was a solo trip on this occasion so could comfortably enjoy the roads at good pace. What a ride. And what a bike to go with it.

I'll have to wait for spring to return there with the bike now, but next trip there is skiing and possibly mountain biking in the snow.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 28-Oct-2018, 04:25 PM (892)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayep View Post
Do you remember where having seen the canon placements ? I suspect it's ever so slightly north of where I was. And when was that?
It was a while back, possibly in the mid to late 80s. I looked on the map and it could have been on the D902 around Arvieux???? The terrain looked like your pictures---very dry, though it was gloomy and gray when we were there--added to the atmosphere.
We had stayed in Annency, or were heading there, cannot remember, but they were the old concrete bunkers and easily visible from the roadway--not in any town. It was possible to explore them and from the size of the openings they must've housed some pretty big guns

We generally rode the white and yellow michelin map roads
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 29-Oct-2018, 03:25 AM (351) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
It was a while back, possibly in the mid to late 80s. I looked on the map and it could have been on the D902 around Arvieux???? The terrain looked like your pictures---very dry, though it was gloomy and gray when we were there--added to the atmosphere.
We had stayed in Annency, or were heading there, cannot remember, but they were the old concrete bunkers and easily visible from the roadway--not in any town. It was possible to explore them and from the size of the openings they must've housed some pretty big guns

We generally rode the white and yellow michelin map roads
Interesting ; I am unaware of anything military around Arvieux (which is the village south of the Izoard pass). There are 3 things I can think of :
- Avant-poste du Col-des-Fourches (col de la bonette - incidentally the highest mountain pass in France)
- Mont charberton (Montgenevre)
- Lombarde pass
At those altitudes the scenery is generally quite "mineral" ; after 2500m the wind and snow generally prevent tree growth, even pines.

I'm sure there are many others though. But I do also find those historic sites fascinating and very humbling. Always good to stop and walk around when possible. And there's so much to see in the alps, wish I could take 3 months off in the summer to do a grand tour.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode