Cold weather ride - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2018, 12:19 PM (763)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Might want to contact these guys.

r1200gs_jeff likes this.

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2018, 12:41 PM (779)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
I don't normally do 400 mile rides in cold weather, but 200-300 mile rides, often below freezing, yeah, done my share of those.

Heated grips (with proper hand protectors to keep the wind blast off) and an electric vest (I prefer the Aerostich Kanetsu, but there are plenty of good ones out there) made things a lot more pleasant. My general cold weather gear-up is: some kind of wicking thin polyrazzmatazz base layer (draw the sweat away from the body--it's strange, but even in single-digit temperatures I sweat some). Flannel-lined jeans on the legs. Electric vest underneath a big ol' Patagonia sweater (that I bought sometime in the '70s!) up top. Whole thing goes under my Roadcrafter two-piece. Most of the time, I can get away with three-season gloves thanks to the grip heaters and hand protection. Full-face helmet (obviously). Good neck wrap of some sort--I want to try one of those silk scarves, to see if it's really slippery enough to make turning my head easier. Heavy wool socks inside boots. I haven't had much luck with the little chemical boot heaters, so most of the time I don't bother with them.

The key thing is to plan more stops, and plan your stops around warming up. Remember that getting into and out of your gear at a stop will take longer (and you want to shed the gear when you go indoors to warm up, to avoid overheating and sweating).

Your temperature may vary, of course.
Crowbar, Southpaw and r1200gs_jeff like this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2018, 09:53 PM (162)

Garage
I installed an electric element in my seat. With the heated seat keep your core warm.
r1200gs_jeff likes this.

Traded in my 2014 F700GS for the 2018 R1200GS Low Suspension. The R1200GS has just been awesome.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-Nov-2018, 06:41 PM (028) Thread Starter

Wow everyone, thanks for your responses. So glad I joined this forum! You guys were helpful
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-Nov-2018, 06:52 PM (036) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candubrain View Post
I rode 173Kms today in 2-3 C, and hit some light rain/wet snow.

I agree with everything mentioned above. But remember, some people such as myself feel the cold sooner than others. The heated grips are not enough for me; I use Hippo Hands with summer weight gloves this works.
Also wear a fleece tube around my neck, I have it pulled up over my chin and use the helmet strap to keep it in place. Stopping that cold draft around my neck made a big difference for me as well.

brian
Thanks for the Hippo Hands tip! Might get a pair of those...
Candubrain likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 15-Nov-2018, 02:19 PM (846)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200gs_jeff View Post
New to this forum but I'm a veteran rider. Has anyone ever ridden 400+ miles in 35 degree weather with a 25 mph tailwind? If so, any tips? I've ridden that far in a day before but not when it was that cold. I have a 2011 r1200gs. Thanks for any feedback! -Jeff
I rode this past spring (April) up through the Yukon Territory to Alaska. Several days riding in temps from the mid-20s F to the high 30s. Electric mid-layer and gloves made the thousands of miles in those temps roll by like a non-event on the temperature.

Ryno23, Dnschmpn, K7TNT and 1 others like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 16-Nov-2018, 10:10 PM (173) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I rode this past spring (April) up through the Yukon Territory to Alaska. Several days riding in temps from the mid-20s F to the high 30s. Electric mid-layer and gloves made the thousands of miles in those temps roll by like a non-event on the temperature.

Wow, that looks really great! Hope you had a great ride
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 18-Nov-2018, 04:49 AM (451)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200gs_jeff View Post
Wow, that looks really great! Hope you had a great ride
4200 miles in 11 days taking a quartet of brand new R1200GS from LA to Anchorage. Bucket list checked.
mikec, Crowbar and K7TNT like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 24-Nov-2018, 06:24 PM (017)

No problem, except!

Cold temps aren't much of an issue here in California and if the temp dips I just turn on the electrics. It's the black ice I fear!
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-Nov-2018, 01:22 PM (807)

Got out myself today, roads were dry and yesterdays rain washed away the salt residue. Did 218Kms in 4-5C temps, started to drizzle so I called it quits. Never saw another soul on a bike, I guess they are all watching the last F1 race or preparing for the Grey Cup
Crowbar likes this.

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode