Cold weather ride - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 09:40 AM (653)

Faceshield fogging--got heated shield yesterday

I went out yesterday for 5 hours in heavy fog with the temp between 33 and 38 degrees. Even the bike's windscreen was covered with moisture, though there was no rain and the roads were dry. I have a Hotwired heated jacket and was comfortably warm, and comfy gloves, but I was having a continuous trouble keeping my Schubert C3 Pro's faceshield clear (it has a pinlock insert) and was driving with it cracked open a lot, which was uncomfortable because of the chilly air and a safety consideration so I had it full up part of the time. Anyway I got frustrated and while having breakfast in Vernonia, Oregon I started looking online for helmets with heated facemasks. I noted online that snowmobilers have better helmets for cold conditions, often having helmet devices that keep one's breath away from the faceshield, as well as heated masks on some. Those might be an option, but instead I noticed a couple of brands (Bell and Scorpion) of moto helmets with heated visors are available (unfortunately not Schuberth) and so I bought a Bell helmet with an electrically heated facescreen, MX-9. It will no doubt be a lot better for fogging than the Schubert if for no other reason because it is about 3x as "airy" (Schuberths' are very tight, you could describe them as either "well-insulated" or "poorly ventilated", depending on your mood at the time) besides having an electric faceshield (not yet hooked up.) Worth a try. I've got 30 days to take it back. I use Splugs (hard-wired ear buds) so the additional noise should not be a problem.

The rest of the story: When I cleaned my Schuberth helmet this morning I found that the pinlock was not seated on the bottom--about a 2mm gap--so was not really able to insulate the faceshield well, as designed. Hmmm. I should probably try the C3 Pro out some more before giving up on it. Just my personal story of trying to cope with winter issues. Nice time to ride, actually, if you have well-behaved equipment. I'd be curious to hear from other pinlock owners on their experiences with fogging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 06:03 PM (002)
Kam

I have the same helmet and insert. About 1 month ago, it started to fog up, and like you, I had to crack open the shield to kind off defog it.

I examined the pinlock insert, and noticed it had these discoloration blobs all over.

I purchased another insert, made sure that the seal between the shield and pinlock were true.

Now it does not fog!

What was interesting, was that the pinlock insert failed (blobs?) overnight. One morning all was good, next, fogged up with blobs. Maybe something got on it? Beats me.

Kam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode