Texas Ride Planning - Suggestions? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 10:24 AM (683) Thread Starter
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Texas Ride Planning - Suggestions?

I'm about to embark on a "Get out of the snow" ride, we have had a real winter here in Western SD.

My plan is to leave here February 28th with my '14 GSA on a trailer, head South and leave the truck/trailer at friends in Alamogordo NM.

From there I will ride South through headed towards Big Bend NP. After checking out BBNP I intend to generally follow the border to Brownsville, then come up the Gulf Coast and head to Lafayette LA for a ride with friends the second weekend in March.

After Lafayette I don't really have any plan other than to be back in Spearfish SD NLT March 20th.

I want to visit the Texas Hill Country and have a beer at Luckenbach, other than that I'm looking for inspiration.

Would some of you Texan's be kind enough to offer some suggestions of things to see, roads to ride etc.?

Thanks,

John Langdell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 10:52 AM (703)
Survivor

Garage
Ya, I have a suggestion. Hire an Au Pair to watch my grandkids and I will go with you.
bigjohnsd likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 10:56 AM (706)
Survivor

Garage
Over on the MOA site some weeks ago there was a discussion of a road to avoid that runs east from NM to Texas. Goes thru an oil patch. I didnít pay much attention to it. PM Henzilla over there. He lives in the hill country and obviously was up to date on the road in question.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 07:27 PM (060) Thread Starter
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Over on the MOA site some weeks ago there was a discussion of a road to avoid that runs east from NM to Texas. Goes thru an oil patch. I didnít pay much attention to it. PM Henzilla over there. He lives in the hill country and obviously was up to date on the road in question.
Thanks - found his post ( https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...exico+henzilla ) , have no intention of riding US 285, planning on this: https://goo.gl/maps/kEHu3exGYUG2.

Of course, all local and experienced rider input is always appreciated.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 07:54 PM (079) Thread Starter
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Big Bend to Brownsville

How about this route? What can we expect for road conditions here as well?

Last edited by bigjohnsd; 14-Feb-2019 at 07:57 PM (081).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 08:55 PM (121)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
couple of suggestions...
2627 off of 385 is a nice road with nice views. iirc. It dead ends at the border with a fence and bridge--absolutely deserted.

Big Bend is a VERY worthy destination, give yourself at least a couple of days of full day riding and exploring. I stayed at the lodge in the park. It was fine and the only game in town unless you head to Terlingua.
St Elena Canyon is definitely fine. If you want some off road, Maverick Rd presents an alternative way back to the lodge.

On the river road between BB and Presidio, there is a famous overlook, big turnout. Be careful stopping there as the slopeS of the parking area extends into multiple dimensions, making it very tricky to stop and dismount. Just be aware and you'll be fine, but it can be deceiving.

North of there are the Davis mountains and Fort Davis. The McDonald Observatory is there and worth a visit. Coupled with the interest in the big telescopes, there is a ring road around the observatory's mountain which is a famous road for it's scenery and rideability...you'll want to do it if you're that close for sure

There are a lot of roads like 285 in west and North Texas. The county and state roads are two lane, sometimes 75mph, but rarely anything but pretty straight. Still the scenery is interesting in a permian basin way. As you'd work your way east toward the middle of Texas the two lane blacktops become curvy and hilly and generally just fine!. State hwy 36 is pretty decent and if you're crossing the state, say from College Station/Bryan toward Abilene and beyond, OR look at 71-87. The area generally bounded by Austin, San Angelo, Sonora, Hondo is pretty good riding and includes Hill Country.

Coming down from Almogordo that way is fine, mostly because you'll be skirting the Guadelupe Mountains. On the SE corner of NM is a state park Sitting Bull falls, very pretty and isolated, but not on your proposed route. Carlsbad Caverns in in that vicinity also

Does the OP know Hill Country, the three sisters, etc?
bigjohnsd likes this.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 14-Feb-2019 at 09:05 PM (128).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 09:14 PM (135)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
Big Bend to Brownsville

How about this route? What can we expect for road conditions here as well?
two things I forgot
1--I really enjoyed the river road down there, esp the part between Del Rio and westward toward BB, curvy hilly and FAST...LOTS of border patrol in the area, many checkpoints all in that area, usually no big deal.
2- You said trailering to the south...where are you going to start your ride? NM is mountains and March is still definitely winter there. That said, I love that state. It has an ancient spiritual feel to it, more like the feeling you get in parts of Nevada rather than Colorado. It's OLD and you get that feeling always. Some very nice roads there, and some cool old towns. Good food too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 10:46 PM (199) Thread Starter
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
two things I forgot
1--I really enjoyed the river road down there, esp the part between Del Rio and westward toward BB, curvy hilly and FAST...LOTS of border patrol in the area, many checkpoints all in that area, usually no big deal.
2- You said trailering to the south...where are you going to start your ride? NM is mountains and March is still definitely winter there. That said, I love that state. It has an ancient spiritual feel to it, more like the feeling you get in parts of Nevada rather than Colorado. It's OLD and you get that feeling always. Some very nice roads there, and some cool old towns. Good food too.
Planning on leaving the truck and trailer in Alamogordo.

Alamogordo, Pinon etc as shown in the map above
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2019, 07:11 AM (549)

If you're in Alamogordo, check out White Sands. Certainly worth a visit, prob take 2-3 hours.
Rick92040 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2019, 07:54 AM (579)

Garage
@bigjohnsd....Alamogordo is at about 3300' elevation. This time of year is mostly warm days, freeze at night. It can change quickly, per latest cold fronts. To get to Pinon from Alamo, you will reach 8800'. Still cold. (cold to us locals). Dry end of mountains, still snow is possible. Pinon to Dell City is high desert. Cell service is zero mostly. I guess you know, but no paved roads. Lots of white powder and rocks. Could not tell, but are you going to Dell via county roads or the NMBDR? The NMBDR is much prettier and a little higher elevation. Make sure you get fuel at each chance. Pinon has fuel when the little store is open. No fuel until Dell City. The had a farmers co-op type fuel pump for credit card only, regular unleaded only, no attendants.

The last time I made that loop, I saw 2 people going down by the county roads. On the BDR going north, I only saw 1 and he stopped to offer assistance (I was fixing a flat).

You did not say if you were going alone and with someone. This is not really good country to go alone. I did it that way, but in hindsight, it probably was not smart. I did leave word where I was going, and when I would be back. I think that would have been little help. At the distances and remoteness, getting help to you could be a 24 hour or more wait.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL

Last edited by rsmith; 15-Feb-2019 at 07:56 AM (581).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode