Route suggestion from SD to above LA? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rick92040

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 11:59 AM (708) Thread Starter
rrg

Route suggestion from SD to above LA?

I am joining two others on their 4-corners ride for the Pacific coast portion. We have most of the ride roughly mapped out but are looking for suggestions for the San Diego to north of Los Angeles leg. We are considering biting the bullet and taking the Interstate thru or sweeping east around the whole metropolis. I am from Indianapolis and am not familiar with but have heard horror stories about the LA traffic. At this point in time we do not know if we will be going thru on a weekend or weekday. We are pretty flexible time-wise.

RRG
2011 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 06:46 PM (990)
Kam

When I go to LA, from Santa Cruz, I personally do not like going through LA downtown, so I skirt it by taking hwy 210.

From SD, 15 to 91 to 210 to...

Kam
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2019, 07:57 AM (540)

I can't give you much help on your routing but I'll tell you that the Angeles Crest Highway should be near the top of every motorcyclist's bucket list no matter where you call home.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2019, 06:09 AM (464)

Garage
Route suggestion from SD to above LA?

I used to work in the Los Angeles/San Diego areas and, for a motorcycle rider, the freeways just plain suck. I've ridden my motorcycle out there many times and, in 2017, I made the trip from Ventura (just north of the LA metroplex) to San Diego on a Sunday. The 166 mile trip took three hours and 53 minutes. I've done that ride in less time but you just never know with LA traffic.

That said, there are nice routes you can take but they certainly aren't direct and I've done those, too. If you want me to do some route suggestion via a .gpx file, I can do that. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address if you're interested.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2019, 09:05 AM (587)
Super Awesom Person

Anytime I leave San Diego I need to go through LA to the north or the desert to the East. I would rather ride through the desert with the 115f heat than LA every time.
That being said I ride through LA all the time and this works the best.
If you have to go through LA go on a Sunday morning. By noon it's too late. On a weekday leave San Diego around 8:30 to time it for 10am and just push through on Interstate 5. Most of the way you can ride in the carpool lane (motorcycle are free even if your by yourself)
If you want to go on the 101 it will take longer but it's so worth it once you get to the other side.
Take the 5 north to the 405, once again the carpool lane is your friend and it has it's own lane from the 5 to the 405, than to the 101. Once you get to the other side the view is stunning.
Stay off the toil road it's just not worth it.
I'm sorry there is no secret way but it's just best to push through on the freeway.
If you want to leave early and ride along the ocean. In San Diego you can go 5 north and get off on Genesee and go Left. It will take you through Torry Pines golf course then follow the coast through stunning vistas and small towns till you get to Oceanside. Then move over to Interstate 5 and head north.
mikec likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 23-Apr-2019 at 09:11 AM (591).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 08:44 PM (072)

Take the 8 east out to the 79 and ride the 79 all the way to the 15 in Temecula. Head north to the 210 and 210 west to the 5. Depending on time 15 north and 210 may be busy but the stretch of hwy 79 is great with a lot of options for some fun dirt trails as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode