6Likes
  • 2 Post By GrayBeard
  • 3 Post By jaxon
  • 1 Post By wjrich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2019, 04:57 AM (414) Thread Starter

Garage
Training feedback

I am looking to hear about other peoples' feedback about off-road training. Specifically about BMW Performance Center vs Rawhyde. In particular, I would like to compare the actual skill training received at both. I know BMW has a 2 day off road class so I'm thinking that would be the closest to Rawhyde's intro to adventure class. Has anyone taken both?

Thanks for your input. I did a search here with no luck, and hoping this is an appropriate category thread.

Black 2018 R1200GS Adventure, Yes Nav VI, no TFT.
Still have Harley, but it's quite lonely now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2019, 07:30 AM (520)

I've taken the 2 day class at BMW in SC using their 1200GS and the class was exceptional. I came away with the confidence to take my 1200GS into places I would not have gone otherwise. It's that good. Their facility and hospitality there is also top notch.

I took my GS there and back on the Blue Ridge Parkway but rode their bike in the class - something I would highly recommend. You'll have a lot less trepidation about dropping it and I was more willing to do some of the challenging things they had on the program knowing it was their bike

I hear good things about the Rawhyde school as well.

BMW offers a substantial discount if you're a BMWMOA member.
kramdunc and ExHarley Rider like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2019, 10:27 AM (644)

Garage
I went to the BMW Performance center in Greer. Rawhyde looks fun, but too far away at that time.

Wear something lightweight (long sleeved Klim has a couple of good enduro style shirts with padding, I wish I had them) and boots with good support. Don't over dress, the heat and activity, seriously, light weight gear and gloves will do unless it's the beginning of spring or late fall. You do need fair knee padding although you'd really have to f*ck up to get hurt (and by that I mean doing really stupid shit).

You'll be standing on pegs most of the time. Don't wear touring style boots. You really want to rent their bike. Everyone drops a bike, some more than others. A good ADV helmet is preferable since they breath more than a regular helmet. A regular helmet will smell horrible at the end of one day, trust me.

The entire team was very professional and highly skilled. You'll spend time on exercise by show and tell, then several iterations of the task following by breaks, drink plenty of water, stretch a bit. You'll move to the next task by going on enduro (trail rides). A few hills are quite large, don't be intimidated by them, motor through it. Peer pressure helped me Nobody got injured, one person freaked out and left on day 1, I assume he wasn't really mentally prepped and it wasn't really that difficult a task (triple mogul hills about waist high.) Nobody forces anyone to do anything, but you'll want to do everything. It's more of a mental challenge that requires being comfortable on the bike. You'll get that level of comfort. From my personal experience I was amazed at what I could do on the bike and what the bike could do. It really boosts your confidence. Confidence is 80 percent of the tasks. I'd like to go back at some point as a refresh.

You will be tired at the end of the day. Wouldn't recommend drinking a few beers after day one, you pass the hell out, wait to the 2nd day is over. I was in fairly good shape and you'll get tired for sure.

I'm sure either course is worth the time and price. It's money well spent. And the lunches are quite good in Greer.

Greer has a BMW Museum, gift shop discount (BMWMOA Members) and I think a factory tour.

Also, if you are a BMW MOA member you can apply for the "Paul B. Scholarship" at least 3 months out and get a $250 discount after completion.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/paulb

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS

Last edited by jaxon; 06-Jul-2019 at 10:31 AM (646).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2019, 02:11 PM (799)

Ditto to the above. The folks at the Performance Center are great. Can't speak to RawHyde part.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-Jul-2019, 06:08 PM (964)

Garage
I did RawHyde Level 1 in California last May. One day was rained out, they gave me a credit to come back anytime.
They said all the items were covered in the one day, just didn't get as many reps as we would have gotten in two days. I felt really confident with what we had done. I rode my bike, but they had rentals if you choose to go that route. Facilities and staff were top notch.
Food, drink, and bunk room is included in your fee. It seems expensive but I would do it again. Everybody eats meals together and hangs out in the bar afterwards, a camaraderie develops.
I signed up for the follow on two day ride after the Level 1 training and I opted to take a rain check due incoming weather and I had to beat feet home before I couldn't get out. I am heading to their Colorado compound In August to complete my two day ride.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-Jul-2019, 10:09 AM (631)

Took the Rawhyde Adventure course with a couple of friends back in March- the intro class on Friday afternoon, the Level 1 training on Saturday and Sunday, and the Base Camp Alpha ride on Monday and Tuesday, renting 1 of their 1250 GSs.
The training and instructors were first- rate, and the facilities were as advertised- bunkhouse like sleeping, group meals (great food) and lots of camaraderie. Training was intense but definitely fun. You'll drop your bike (have a "get off") at least once, but everyone rallies around you and helps you get the bike up (easier than you would think) and back going again. You're up on the pegs for about 90% of the time, so prepare accordingly. I'm in average to decent shape, and while we trained hard I wasn't anywhere near as sore as I thought I'd be.
Base Camp Alpha trip was an awesome ride, although I did a hard "get off" in some deep sand early on that I didn't see coming and ended up with what looked/felt like a really bad ankle sprain. I was still able to complete the 2 day ride although I avoided some of the really tough spots for fear of further damaging the ankle. After returning home and going to the ER to get the sprain checked out, it turned out that I had actually broken my fibula. In spite of that I still think the whole experience was fantastic, and would recommend it to anyone. Costly? May seem that way at first, but after experiencing the quality instruction, great riding and the great staff, it was a bargain.
Ryno23 likes this.

Charlottesville, VA area
2017 GS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-Jul-2019, 06:08 PM (964) Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for the information. I did take the one day road and one day off road courses at the Bmw Performance Center a few months ago. It was everything I expected and then some. I am registered for Rawhyde CO in August. I did ride the fence a bit about whether to do Rawhyde, or maybe go back to Greer for a two day. Either way, I benefit, and Rawhyde is in my own state, so I'm looking forward to it.

On a side note, I did recently take a one day intermediate skills class with another national training company. Honestly, the day riding is always nice, but the quality of what was just not anywhere near what I got from a day at BMW.

Black 2018 R1200GS Adventure, Yes Nav VI, no TFT.
Still have Harley, but it's quite lonely now...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-Jul-2019, 04:55 AM (413)

Garage
A buddy and I are heading to the RawHyde facility in late August for the intro course, we are riding up from Austin and plan to do some of the off road routes near Salida in the days around the camp and a segment or two of the NMBRD routes on the way home. Looking forward to it.

All the best

Dripping Springs TX
2016 GSA
2016 R9T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode