R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a fatter tire for the rear, what's the max I can put in there......any upsize recommendation......I know this sounds like a dumb question but before I buy the OEM size need to know if there is room for improvement. I do 100% street riding.....Normal riding maybe 5K /yr...

Javvy

·
Registered
824 Posts
This site should help you: 150/70-R17 vs 170/60-R17 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

I wonder why you think a fatter tire is an "improvement".
Fatter tire on a skinner rim will make it the tire bulge and handle like shit. If the OP wants a wider tire get a wider rim. The K and RT bike have wheels that will bolt onto the GS (offsets are slightly different) that are made to accommodate 180 series tires.

If you go wider than 180 the stock exhaust will moved or a smaller diameter aftermarket muffler is need so the tire sound rub. Its a lot of work for nothing.

As it were I have a set if RT wheel that I am going to put on one of my GS's. Not becaeu the rear tire is fatter but because the front is a 17" that accommodates a 120 series tire so I can make the GS a Motard.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Between tire right edge and rear suspension arm there is only few milimeters distance. Check this only with finger. I think, even next wider tyre will be possible to touch rear suspention and will lead to friction, which is not normal.
I think dimentions of tires given from manufacturer, are enough wide for this bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Michelin Anakee tires on my ride and they are loud. Based on all your comments I will stick to the OEM size, but what is the quietest tire out there for street riding.

Javvy

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nobody ever accused the Anakee 3's of being quiet. For whatever reason sometimes they just howl...on some bikes. I had them on a 06 GS and the sound was unbearable. I could hear it over music playing in earbuds. Vowed to never buy them again. Bought a GSA that had them on and they were not nearly as loud.

I like the wear and grip they provided and when quiet were great. When loud I hated them. After two different experience's for the right price I'd try them again. Right price would have to rival the Dunlop Trailsmart blowout that happened over the last several months. At those prices I'd run any tire :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm riding an '05 GS on asphalt only. Michelin Road Pilot 5 for GS. Standard sizes. They turn so well you burn off the chicken strips, and they handle well in a straight line. Not noisy. What else do you want? 35 psi front, 40 psi rear. I did 170 miles today, some on very bad asphalt. Expensive. They do the job.

RC MtHebo MED.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
I have the Michelin Anakee tires on my ride and they are loud. Based on all your comments I will stick to the OEM size, but what is the quietest tire out there for street riding.

Javvy
Pretty much any 90/10 ADV tire, sport tire or touring tire should be quiet. Even TKC70 with the center strip is. Most you can tell by looking at them. The wider and more perpendicular to the tire direction the louder they will be.

Given you are 100% street lots of options, probably depends on what you want for performance (how hard you ride in corners and wet) vs expectations on tire life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
preferred tire life and I don't ride hard at all, am a very conservative rider. I ride to enjoy the view and the feeling, not to save time to reach a destination....

Javvy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have Metzler Tourance NEXT on my ‘05 GS. I do mostly pavement with an occasional dirt/gravel road. They are excellent, quiet and very good traction.

·
Registered
824 Posts
preferred tire life and I don't ride hard at all, am a very conservative rider. I ride to enjoy the view and the feeling, not to save time to reach a destination....

Javvy
If you really want longevity the Darkside may be for you. The Archellies ATR Economist is around $55 shipped and will out last a MC tire 2 or 3 to one......rear only. They are quiet and handle well.

Yes I said a wider MC tire will handle bad on a rim made for a 150 series tire and I stand by that. Then I suggest using a 170 series car tire and saying it will handle well....and I stand by that.

While this seems to be contradictory its not. The flat profile of the car tire vs the rounded profile of the MC tire are the difference. The car tire will indent when in a turn whereas the MC tire rides on the radius. If you flatten the radius (wider MC tire on a narrower rim) it will slow the turn-in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts