R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike was laid up for a few weeks over Christmas now won't start. Battery full. Press start button and just hear a click from starter relay..its in neutral and I can't put into gear either Nothing else. Any ideas

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
392 Posts
The usuals suspects are the battery post (detach cable, clean and reconnect). While the cables are disconnected from the battery, do the same procedure at the other end (positive at the back of the starter, ground on the motor, behind the air intake horn).

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
392 Posts
Make sure the display confirm that the bike is in neutral (in case the transmission position sensor or neutral switch is bad). If it's the case, bike will start if you press the clutch.

Sidestand should not prevent the bike to start if it is in neutral.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If only click, for me this is a sign for low battery. In rider manual is written: if you don't use the bike more than 4 or 5 weeks better disconnect it to prevent battery from drain and charge. After that connect it and try again. Only clock is enough to drain the battery for this period.
I have such case last year. Recharge and try again. Rotate and start from first time.
If I'm wrong, post us what was reason and remedy.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
685 Posts
Bike was laid up for a few weeks over Christmas now won't start. Battery full. Press start button and just hear a click from starter relay..its in neutral and I can't put into gear either Nothing else. Any ideas
Maybe have a load test on the battery. It needs cranking amps and voltage only is not an indicator of a healthy battery. Ground problems are a very common problem.

Not sure what you mean by : "can't put it in gear"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a new battery and it's reading full. All lights horn etc work. Gears OK now

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
392 Posts
Can you measure the voltage (while the start button is pressed) present at the control terminal of the starter (if there is low/no voltage, starter relay or safety related switched are suspect) then at the battery terminal of the starter (if it drops too low, battery (was tested good) or cabling issue (try connect the battery directly to the starter with jumper cables)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts