R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1-Off HID light kit installed (at the BMW Dealer) for 3 X the amount of light. When it "ignites", it works great. However, the light only ignites interminttantly. Often it flickers and the result is no light, except the "Light Failure" indicator on the dashboard. The 1-Off folks replaced the ballast and igniter. Still the problem persists. Now on to the 3rd try. Any ideas why this light isn't working as advertised? This brand is sold by some large volume BMW dealers, so I have to suppose that it works like its supposed to for most people. Thanks,
Allen Brooke Peterson:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the 1-Off wired directly to the battery? Sounds like a ballast issue but it would be strange the replacement is acting the same way...

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I installed a 1-Off kit in my '09 GSA and, for a while, had no issues at all. Although I have a brand new Odyssey battery in the bike, I noticed a minor problem. On a November trip into fairly cold weather, when I'd start the bike after sitting in the motel parking lot all night, I'd get a LAMPF fault and the headlight wouldn't ignite. I'd let the bike run for about 30-45 seconds, cut it off, did a restart. The fault cleared and the lamp ignited.

It has been unseasonably cold where I live and my bike hasn't been started in about a month. I just went down, disconnected the trickle charger and fired it up. Everything was fine. With my bike, I think when cold cranking amps are reduced a little, the LAMPF fault will occur. I called the 1-Off customer service and they said they'd never heard of that but would replace the unit, if I wished. I didn't do that but I'm just monitoring it.

If I were you, I'd check the battery.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Papasmurf

i had a 1-off hid light kit installed (at the bmw dealer) for 3 x the amount of light. When it "ignites", it works great. However, the light only ignites interminttantly. Often it flickers and the result is no light, except the "light failure" indicator on the dashboard. The 1-off folks replaced the ballast and igniter. Still the problem persists. Now on to the 3rd try. Any ideas why this light isn't working as advertised? This brand is sold by some large volume bmw dealers, so i have to suppose that it works like its supposed to for most people. Thanks,
allen brooke peterson:cool:
bmw sells a inline plug in to wire harness which will solve this problem faking out computor fro start up

·
Registered
2 Posts
HID Light kit issue

I have got exactly the same problem as Mike. On start-up the HID lamp blinks and immediately shut off. If I check the live with a multimeter - no Volts.
Any feedack on the in-line plug Papasmurf is talking about?

·
Registered
2 Posts
HID Kit light issues

I have now solved this particular problem as follows: I have installed a toggle switch in the LV line. So, I start the bike with the switch OFF. As soon as the engine is running - switch ON - Low Beam ON. Easy peasy. If you plan to do it just make bloody sure you DO NOT install the switch in the HV line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies: 1 Off Light Kit issue solved (I hope)

The 1 Off light issue has been solved, I hope- after three tries. The first dealer did a very nice job mounting the ballast for the light under the gas tank, since the tank was off for a brake line recall. They thought they were doing me a favor to mount it nicely tucked "out of the way". Unfortunately, that location makes it impossible to service if there's a problem. The problem with the light was with the CAN BUS system and the lack of an interface module. 1 Off supplied a new light kit to a second motorcyle shop who mounted it in the same location. Unfortunately the decoder was faulty. Now, after three tries, the ballast and decoder are mounted up near the light. Everything seems to be working properly. I only rode the bike home from the shop, so we'll see...... I'll make another post to follow up. The take home lesson: Mount stuff where its easy to get at, in case there's a problem. I Off Motorsports, where I bought the light, now has HID Light Installation Instructions with pictures on their website for the GS. (http://www.1offmotorsports.com/bmw-r1200gs-hid-installation-instructions.html) Those instructions were not available previously. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hid

your problem is likely they installed a 35 watt set up, not a 55 watt. canbus reads the 35 watts and senses a fault. to remedy this, many 35 watt units will have additional resitor to "read" 55 watts.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
My '09 GSA continued to show LAMPF so I e-mailed 1-Off as they had told me to monitor the issue. They had me send them a photo of my unit and, within one hour, responded and said they'd would send a new unit. They did and I'll plug it up this weekend.

Nice response from them and excellent service!

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-Off HID Light follow up report

Just another follow up, as promised, from the original poster on this thread. After the original troubles, I've been running the bike for some months now with no trouble from the 1-Off HID light. Getting the right parts mounted in the right location did it. 1-Off now has pictures showing the mounting location on a 1200 GS. happy riding.... Brooke Peterson

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I just wanted to do a follow-up on my new 1-Off HID unit. I had 55w unit and, after quite a while, I started getting LAMPF faults that would go away after a re-start. Jose, at 1-Off, sent a different unit for the replacement: A 35W unit and, like the other kit, it has a CANbus decoder.

I grabbed a beer, hooked it up without the decoder and got an immediate LAMPF! Then I hooked it up with the decoder and, you guessed it, LAMPF! I thought, "Maybe HID isn't for you," so I started unhooking everything. That's when I realized some idiot had reversed the power leads. I put the beer down and hooked everything back up, correctly this time, and all was well. There have been no more problems.

The folks at 1-Off just laughed when I told them about the bad wiring. They're a good bunch of guys and most helpful.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happy to provide good customer service!

I am happy to thank all of your guys for the positive feedback on behalf of everyone at 1 Off MotorSports. It certainly makes "work" not seem like work at all knowing that we are improving your overall riding experience and having it appreciated.

We take great pride in providing the best possible customer service and always look to better ourselves so we can continue to make our customers happy. Your feedback is instrumental in the continued growth of our business and always appreciated.

If anyone has any recommendations how we can better serve our past, present and future customers we are happy to hear/ implement what is needed to make sure everyone who has 1 Off MotorSports products is satisfied.

Sincerely,

Spencer Tibbs

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I've been on the road for two weeks, traveling from North Carolina to Tucson, AZ. I didn't take a direct route either. In Mexican Hat, UT a few nights ago, I decided to take Valley of the Gods Road and get a little photography done. My 35W I-Off HID low beam really lit up the road and approaching cars didn't flash their high beams at me. Just for kicks, I decided to hit my $pecial white halogen high beam and laughed when it made absolutely no difference to my view of the road. By the way, it's adjusted properly.

I'm really enjoying this HID!

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
I grabbed a beer, hooked it up without the decoder and got an immediate LAMPF! Then I hooked it up with the decoder and, you guessed it, LAMPF! I thought, "Maybe HID isn't for you," so I started unhooking everything. That's when I realized some idiot had reversed the power leads. I put the beer down

Mike
Hmm...beer, technical installation...where do I sense a possible problem...and the identity of the "idiot" was never mentioned.:D
In my shop the beer drinker is the reading the instructions, not the one doing the actual work.:D

·
R120oGS Hooligan
34 Posts
35W or 55W doesb't seem to make much difference other forums I've seen posts going both ways. What I understand is Canbus uses the initial inrush to see if the lamp is working. Outside a certain range it gives lampf.

I went with the DM tuning kit in a 35w. No problems for 6-8 months. Now you guessed it lampf. So I ordered their canbus plug we'll see.

Even though I get the fault light the headlight still works (05 GS) so I don't know how that compares for those whose don't.

I really think the decoder is necesary now for long term no fault operation.

·
R120oGS Hooligan
34 Posts
Are you sure it is not your parking light that burnt out?
Good question, being a knucklehead, and not used to having a parking light I never even considered that........:p :D

So ya that's it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts