R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have 1200 gs LC 1025. I heared a sound when i start my bike. I try to investigate the problem. The bike is 78.000 km. You can listen thr sound below link. Do yoi know anythonh about this ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
My starter didn't fully disengage immediately after starting and replaced under warranty. A new one cost approximately $600 USD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today i talked local bmw service. They said that there is a gear after starter engine in inside the engine. This geae damaged. I ask to them how is it possibe? Answer is you press too much start button. Bmw has specific problem but very bad maintenance. The local dealers and service every time say user fault.

I will wrote this to bmw. I every timr goto service periodically and follow the istructions. But i cam directly say, you need to be ready to catastrophic failures if you drive to bmw. You need to put some money for this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am sure that if you remove the starter and take it to any auto electrician they can sort out the ring gear on the starter and all will be ok do a little homework how to remove you will save thousands

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure that if you remove the starter and take it to any auto electrician they can sort out the ring gear on the starter and all will be ok do a little homework how to remove you will save thousands
I think the same thing. But there are two different situations. if the problem is in the starter engine, it seems to be easily solved. However, not in the starter motor, but in the gears inside the engine, it will be necessary to remove the engine and replace the gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the same thing. But there are two different situations. if the problem is in the starter engine, it seems to be easily solved. However, not in the starter motor, but in the gears inside the engine, it will be necessary to remove the engine and replace the gear.
Can It not be done when the starter is out and repair it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Touratech service saw the same situation before but we will understand the problem when we open it. They fixed starter before at the electrician. But sure It depends on the problem. They can fix something or they can not :) Anyway, As a result, it is difficult to say that these bikes will not cause any problems even if we maintain them properly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. It was also leaking at the O-ring. I replaced the O-ring and the noise never came back. Don't ask me why. :unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts