R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m finding that the price varies from $500 to close to $1500. i understand it’s a 4 hour labor and .4 hours for each cylinder for valve adjustment. Is there any reason why the wide range of cost?

·
2019 R1250 GSA
148 Posts
My 12k service on my R1250 GSA was $700.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What service are they doing for those prices? I had my bike at the dealer and my service was $500 for the 12,000 mile minus oil change and brake flush.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
148 Posts
What service are they doing for those prices? I had my bike at the dealer and my service was $500 for the 12,000 mile minus oil change and brake flush.
Parts were $280
Valve cover gaskets,
Gasket ring
2 types of crush rings
Gear oil
Engine oil
Oil filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Parts cleaner
Injector cleaner
Labor was $400
If valves need adjustment, it is $75 per side. Mine did not need adjustment @ 12K.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Everything sounds about right except for the valve cover gaskets. My bike has 52,000 miles on it and never change the valve cover caskets. On a sidenote I just hate when they charge you for parts cleaner!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you self a favor and change your own oil, you’ll save some money and you get to bond with your bike

·
2019 R1250 GSA
148 Posts
Do you self a favor and change your own oil, you’ll save some money and you get to bond with your bike
I'm doing myself a favor by having someone else do the maintenance. I bond with my bike when I ride it....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm doing myself a favor by having someone else do the maintenance. I bond with my bike when I ride it....
Parts were $280
Valve cover gaskets,
Gasket ring
2 types of crush rings
Gear oil
Engine oil
Oil filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Parts cleaner
Injector cleaner
Labor was $400
If valves need adjustment, it is $75 per side. Mine did not need adjustment @ 12K.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts were $280
Valve cover gaskets,
Gasket ring
2 types of crush rings
Gear oil
Engine oil
Oil filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Parts cleaner
Injector cleaner
Labor was $400
what state and dealer?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had my 36k service done this week at Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV.
It costed about $270 and that was with new front and rear tires installed, which took up most of the bill.
My valves were within tolerance so no adjustments were needed.
I changed oil, oil filter, final drive fluid, and air filter myself.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
No it does not. There will be just a few drops of oil in the valve cover.
Actually you will lose a couple of ounces per side. Not a big deal if it were around the max to begin with. Easy enough to add a few ounces when yu are done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually you will lose a couple of ounces per side. Not a big deal if it were around the max to begin with. Easy enough to add a few ounces when yu are done.
Maybe depends on the model and how soon after running the engine it is done? I have done it only once so far on my ‘09 hexhead while on the center stand and it certainly wasn't enough to worry about having lost anything. Anyway just do it, it’s fun to learn basic maintenance on the GS boxers.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I do valve checks with every oil change. Doesn't take much extra time and as long as I'm messing up the garage floor, may as well do it. I have done a couple without changing the oil, doesn't seem to be much difference in oil loss, but these have all been wet heads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do it all myself. Oil change, brake flush, valve checks, whatever. Cost is materials only, less than $50. I don't change valve cover gaskets and replacing spark plugs at 12,000 miles is just plain silly.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
148 Posts
I do it all myself. Oil change, brake flush, valve checks, whatever. Cost is materials only, less than $50. I don't change valve cover gaskets and replacing spark plugs at 12,000 miles is just plain silly.
Cost isn’t only materials. What is your time worth?

Reactions: Xlntcfp
1 - 20 of 24 Posts