R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. What is the secret of getting this bike up on the center stand? Granted I am not a big guy, but.....

I am 5 8 and about 165lbs. Not the strongest, not the weakest.

I have tried just standing on the stand and the bike gets so far and stops. I have pulled back on the bars while pulling up on the pannier racks. Sometimes I can get it to come up on stand. Most of the time though, no go.

All this being said that is with a full tank and nothing on the bike at all.

Thanks in advance!

Pat

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 2 " taller than you and 15# heavier, this thing comes up on the CS just by looking at it
of course I'm coming from a K1600 B which is a B*&CH getting on it's CS
Sorry I know this didn't help, but I'm just so happy getting a bike on it's CS without an argument
But this might be some help, start at 0:35

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the trick, on CS there is a little elbow sticking out, step on it while pull it backward. Your weight on the elbow acts as weight on lever to help lift the bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok. What is the secret of getting this bike up on the center stand? Granted I am not a big guy, but.....

I am 5 8 and about 165lbs. Not the strongest, not the weakest.

I have tried just standing on the stand and the bike gets so far and stops. I have pulled back on the bars while pulling up on the pannier racks. Sometimes I can get it to come up on stand. Most of the time though, no go.

All this being said that is with a full tank and nothing on the bike at all.

Thanks in advance!

Pat
Hey Pat,

Where are you in Ohio? You ride all the same stuff we do....OH, WV, KY, etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm 6'5" tall and 205lbs.

If my saddlebags and top box are not empty its more difficult.
Put a few pounds in the box or bags and I struggle to get the bike on the centre stand.

Nature of the beast I guess

·
Registered
42 Posts
center stand tips

Standing very close to the bike helps, right foot as close as possible to the stand's lever, rock it side to side to get both feet in contact with the ground and extend your left leg while lifting the right hand.

Its a lost art, we all learned the technique back in the day when everything came with a center stand

Bruce

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Yamaha FJR, which weighs maybe 20 pounds more than my GSA, goes up on the centerstand without any problem. The FJR is closer to the gound, has a shorter throw to the centerstand and the pull-handle is lower and easier to pull up and back. The GSA takes total confidence and commitment OR a piece of 3/4" board under the rear wheel... A 6-inch of 1 X 6 with a bevel on the end takes the drama out of the centerstand. It can also be used as a coaster under the sidestand if the ground is really soft.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 5'8" 155lbs

Here's something else I recently tried, not intentionally, it just kind of happened and the bike popped right up:

Be sure you are grabbing the bike with your right hand low enough on the frame/rear foot peg bracket/anywhere below the seat. The trick is to create separation between your right hand and right foot when stepping on the centerstand. I can stand on it and nothing will happen without lifting up and pushing down. Even then, as we know, it can be a challenge. If you can, once you've got the bike balanced and you're standing on your right foot (and pulling up with right hand) stand on the centerstand WITH BOTH FEET (left on top of right) and and you've got a lot more muscle to push and get the job done. Sounds unsafe but my left foot is off the ground anyway so might as well put it to good use. Try it at your own risk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm 5'8" 155lbs

Here's something else I recently tried, not intentionally, it just kind of happened and the bike popped right up:

Be sure you are grabbing the bike with your right hand low enough on the frame/rear foot peg bracket/anywhere below the seat. The trick is to create separation between your right hand and right foot when stepping on the centerstand. I can stand on it and nothing will happen without lifting up and pushing down. Even then, as we know, it can be a challenge. If you can, once you've got the bike balanced and you're standing on your right foot (and pulling up with right hand) stand on the centerstand WITH BOTH FEET (left on top of right) and and you've got a lot more muscle to push and get the job done. Sounds unsafe but my left foot is off the ground anyway so might as well put it to good use. Try it at your own risk.
I'll give that a shot. I get right to the point of it wanting to go, but that is where I get stuck most of the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's about leverage

What is the secret of getting this bike up on the center stand?

Pat
The secret is you don't need to be big or strong. It's all about leverage. Let your right foot do all the work and as you push with your foot, lever the bike backwards.

Once you get the technique right, it's quite easy.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Step one: stand close to the bike holding the left handlebar and the frame or rack below the pillion.
Step two: put your right foot on the center stand extension arm pressing it to the ground.
Step three: while pressing firmly on the stand extension, move the bike away from your body and toward you until you *know* both of the stand's feet are on the ground.
Step four: stand up on your right leg to get yourself up as high as you can relative to the bike.
Step five: do a dead lift by pulling up with your hands as you push down with your *legs*
With practice you will be able to set your big boy up smoothly every time. I'm a little taller than you, so I have my knees bent some during these steps and that helps me use my legs more. You can try grasping lower on the frame if it helps you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a former BMW store manager I often demonstrated center stand technique to new owners.
The hot set up is to:
stand as close to the bike as you can
square the bars, don't pull on the handle bar
put both foot pads of the stand solid on the ground, keep them there!
grip the subframe low
stand on the stand with the ball of your right foot
pull the subframe back (not towards you)
It is not strength, I'm a short , fat old man and I have no problem with a loaded ADV.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts