R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with Southpaw. Had same issue with my 2019 GSA until I started thinking of the motion as pushing it backwards over a bump, not lifting. I grab the frame near the rear foot peg and left hand on the left grip and keep the front wheel as straight as possible. SHOVE IT backwards as you step on the centerstand lever.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
520 Posts
Nobody seems to have mentioned that the bike should be in Neutral. Trying to do this in gear makes it way way way more difficult.
This makes me laugh. Last time I had my bike on the center stand, I had a major problem getting it down off the stand. I was sliding bike all over garage floor for about 5 minutes.... until I realized bike was in 1st gear. Much easier in neutral. >:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Center Stand My Fix

I was too having an issue getting the bike on the center stand, mostly cause I am not as strong and limber as I used to be. The only way I can get it on the stand made my shin would hit the foot peg and that hurt like hell, so i was thinking if I had a better way to grasp something other then the passenger peg area it would make it easier. I do this with the panniers on also.
So this was my solution, Prototype1 and so far it works awesome. :smile2:
Had an old foot peg from another bike, reduced the base to fit into the luggage holder, drilled it half way for the bolt head to fit, then reattached.
Now I can pull up and back a lot easier to get it on the stand and it folds out of the way.
I wished this peg had detents instead of a thrust washer to keep the peg up. maybe Prototype2 someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was too having an issue getting the bike on the center stand, mostly cause I am not as strong and limber as I used to be. The only way I can get it on the stand made my shin would hit the foot peg and that hurt like hell, so i was thinking if I had a better way to grasp something other then the passenger peg area it would make it easier. I do this with the panniers on also.
So this was my solution, Prototype1 and so far it works awesome. :smile2:
Had an old foot peg from another bike, reduced the base to fit into the luggage holder, drilled it half way for the bolt head to fit, then reattached.
Now I can pull up and back a lot easier to get it on the stand and it folds out of the way.
I wished this peg had detents instead of a thrust washer to keep the peg up. maybe Prototype2 someday.
That's cool!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
WOW What a Difference !!!

With the handle it makes a HUGE difference getting it on the center stand. I would compare it to my sisters VStrom 650 easy...
I now put it on the center stand every time I get home...I imagine with the bike weighted down, ONE DAY, it will make it very doable...
If you have a spare highway peg or even a 3/4 pipe, I would recommend it

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a former BMW store manager I often demonstrated center stand technique to new owners.
The hot set up is to:
stand as close to the bike as you can
square the bars, don't pull on the handle bar
put both foot pads of the stand solid on the ground, keep them there!
grip the subframe low
stand on the stand with the ball of your right foot
pull the subframe back (not towards you)
It is not strength, I'm a short , fat old man and I have no problem with a loaded ADV.
The only thing I'd add is to make sure your right knee is pointing in the direction you want the bike to go - towards the rear - doesn't need to be 90 degrees or anything extreme but the more it's pointing towards the rear, the easier it will be to push the rear subframe in the same direction when standing on the stand.

Doesn't seem to make any difference if my bike is in gear or not and being in gear might be helpful for when you take the bike back off the centre stand to prevent the bike rolling too far...

Finally once you've cracked it, repeat 20 times to really get your technique locked in!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The only thing I'd add is to make sure your right knee is pointing in the direction you want the bike to go - towards the rear - doesn't need to be 90 degrees or anything extreme but the more it's pointing towards the rear, the easier it will be to push the rear subframe in the same direction when standing on the stand.

Doesn't seem to make any difference if my bike is in gear or not and being in gear might be helpful for when you take the bike back off the centre stand to prevent the bike rolling too far...

Finally once you've cracked it, repeat 20 times to really get your technique locked in!
I was able to get the bike to go up the other day about 3 times. That was with all 3 boxes on the bike and about 2/3 tank of gas. What you said is about what I was doing. I really think the handle idea will help too, just haven't gotten around to it yet lol.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts