R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people would like a GS but shy away because of the size or height of the bike hopefully the following may help.

I own a 1250GS with lowered suspension/chassis, which of the 3 settings available high, auto, and minimum I ride in minimum mode all the time because I am 5’7” with an 28” inside leg.

This is OK until the bike is loaded with panniers and a passenger, it then sinks (sags?) much lower to the point that in full touring mode it is way too low. The ideal solution would be to use auto mode thus compensating for the extra weight but in that configuration it is too high to be comfortable/safe especially when fully loaded.

I noticed the height sensor link rod at the rear and though that adjusting it length may provide a solution. A quick search on eBay came up with a few possibilities. I settled on the one in the picture, it is designed to be use as an adjustable headlight levelling link rod for cars but happens to not only have the required length range but all the threads were the same as the original link rod.

The photo’s are self explanatory but if you do this be careful! to lower my bike 25mm (just over an inch) only took about 3mm of adjustment shorter than the original link rod.

I now leave the bike permanently in auto mode and the ride height is now comfortable for me regardless of load.

I hope this may be of help to anybody with a similar problem but the usual applies, you do this entirely at your own risk and I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any problems , damage, injuries etcetera that may occur as a result.

Stay safe.

Plant Tape measure Measuring instrument Ruler Line
Bicycle part Font Machine Metal Nickel
Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Administrator
1,392 Posts
Clever solution. I'm also a inseam length challenged rider. I ride a lot of enduro and dual sport and all those bikes are way taller and I have to slide off the seat to get a foot down. Riding a taller bike is skill that can be mastered and I think a lot of potential owners eliminate a lot of very cool bikes from their options due to seat height.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clever solution. I'm also a inseam length challenged rider. I ride a lot of enduro and dual sport and all those bikes are way taller and I have to slide off the seat to get a foot down. Riding a taller bike is skill that can be mastered and I think a lot of potential owners eliminate a lot of very cool bikes from their options due to seat height.

Yes I agree, when I was younger I never worried about how tall a bike was, just got on and rode it, did just what you said slide slightly off the saddle till I touched down but fast forward to present day and with advancing years plus very rarely traveling without my partner that no unfortunately longer applies to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts

so what your saying is learn how to ride a tall bike . I couldn't agree more , no reason to change ride heights . Just adjust yourself to the height of the bike . I have seen plenty of shorter riders do amazing things on tall bikes .

·
Administrator
1,392 Posts
so what your saying is learn how to ride a tall bike . I couldn't agree more , no reason to change ride heights . Just adjust yourself to the height of the bike . I have seen plenty of shorter riders do amazing things on tall bikes .
With a 29” inseam there’s a lot of bikes I wouldn’t get to experience if I had to flatfoot to ride it. I owned and tracked an S1000RR, a WR250R is my dual sport bike, and I did the Colorado BDR on a KTM 690 R Enduro (with a low seat). I had to tippy toe or slide off the saddle on all of those bikes. Once you develop the skill you’ll never really think about it again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agree to a point. If you're going to rallies and camping for weeks at a time...you want more stuff on your bike. It's kinda asking for problems to load up a bike that's really a lot taller than you. OTOH, there's an instructor for one of the rider ed places who is really short and rides a full-height GSA...perfectly. She does a great video on mounting and dismounting...very humbling.

I hit a road repair that went wrong out in the country on the way to a ride. Shocks were set wrong and suspension bottomed. It broke my Paralever housing into 3 pieces. I'm a little sensitive to running out of suspension travel on BMWs. Bad things can happen.

So...I like this idea that, if you're going to lower it, have this stick change so you don't muck things up when you load your bike....but I don't like the idea of traveling on the last 30% of travel. When you run out, there's a little rubber thing inside the shock that takes up some...but after that, expensive things start breaking.

I bought a low-suspension GSA. Dealer said it's the same height as a standard GS. I know the GSAs come with a ton of travel, so I thought, this'll work fine. Now I'm finding that I can touch down better than on my '17 RT with standard suspension. Then I looked it up... 2 inches lower? 2 full inches???? Well that explains a lot. I think, if I'd known it was so much lower, I'd have got the standard GSA and learned how to ride it.

I'm a 30" inseam. I got a standard GSA rider's seat. It's OK. I don't hate it. Had it on high setting, then high in front, low in back. Both were OK. Then I got a Wunderlich seat. I hope I learn to love it. It sure looks great. Wunderlich's tall is only 2mm taller than the standard GSA seat. Their standard seat is a lot lower than standard GSA....so I got the tall. I can still touch really well on this bike.

BMW has realized that everyone wants a GS. They've come out with these low suspension options that really are making them more acceptable to more people...and it's selling bikes.

:alien:

Reactions: equ

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm debating between GS & GSA. I'd prefer Standard seat height so I don't run out of suspension "at the wrong time". Being 5'10" with a 32" inseam I think I'll be fine but the local dealer doesn't have a bike for me to sit on at this point. Soooooo, we'll see.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
239 Posts
I ordered a link - 31" inseam, standard height GSA - I can Flat foot in "Low" but want to have the Automatic function. Worth the $$ to see if it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am 5’8” with 30” inseam. Ride a 21’ GSA with standard suspension, low seat in the hi position. I have had to adjust how I deal with stops but to be honest, it is now second nature, sliding a bit to the left before planting one foot, with the other on the break. Understanding the balance of the bike has been a learning curve because it is certainly big and heavy especially with a full tank of gas. Note to self, it is not always necessary to fill up the tank. That was a good lesson I learned from someone for day to day riding. Not so practical when touring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For those in the US, ACE hardware sells all those pieces separately (different sizes) so you can build your own Linkage Connecting Rod . I think you can build one for around $25.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That was one of my questions where I did not receive a response (on another thread). When in Auto mode, is the suspension set to its lowest height when at a stop?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts