R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never make it to the recommended 5-6K oil change interval with my 2020 GS. It seems to burn ~1QT every 3K, no matter how gently or aggressive the ride is. Anyone else experiences this with their 1250 GS?

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes: a friend and I both had the "low oil" light come on about 3,000 miles after we both bought our bikes (they both had about 4,000 miles when we bought them and had just been serviced).

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I never make it to the recommended 5-6K oil change interval with my 2020 GS. It seems to burn ~1QT every 3K, no matter how gently or aggressive the ride is. Anyone else experiences this with their 1250 GS?
How many miles on it now?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have experince with two different oils on my bike and result was different - burn more cheap brand, burn small expensive. Both brands are 10W40. Way of riding is the same. What type/ brand of oil you use?

·
2019 R1250 GSA
205 Posts
If you are burning a full quart every 3K miles, you have serious problems. Did you buy the bike new? If you bought it new, did you adhere to the break-in requirements? (This ought to open up a bunch of different opinions)

My 2019 GSA burned a few ounces every 1K miles early on. I'm now at 21K miles and I don't need to add oil any more. If your motor is new, give it time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just changed my oil/filter at ~4500 miles. My bike is a 2020 GSA and I measure the drain volume. My measured drained oil volume was just a shade under the 4L mark. I actually was concerned that I had an overfill condition from the 600 mile dealer service. I expected to see ~3.2-3.5L based on what was remaining in the filter + what didn't come out of the engine cavities.

So I didn't experience this oil loss, I still had ~3.8L of measured volume not counting the volume in the filter. I'd be concerned with 1qt of measured oil loss over 3k miles.

As Krons asked above.....how many miles on your bike?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would let the dealer knows about this and put it on record, also buying extended warranty for future if you decided to keep the bike.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had two GS's. My current 2019 1250 GSA has just over 18,000 miles. it has never used any appreciable amount of oil. My 2009 1200GS used about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles with 75,000 miles on the bike. Note it always used some. Just enough I had to add between oil changes. I would definitely be concerned with 1 quart every 3,000 miles on a relatively new bike. This warrants a compliant to the dealer. I would not expect them to do anything at this time but if it gets worse I would contact BMW directly if the dealer is no help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2020 BMW GSA no burning oil here, just came back from a 6223 mile road trip and the level is the same as I left. bike has 16100+ miles as of late.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds to me like too much. Don't have a 1250 but I have a 2016 my friend has a 2017 and they burn zero. The oil does not even get discolored. Stays clear amber.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many miles on it now?
Thanks for all the feedback.

The bike was puchesed new in 2020 and currently has 13.4K miles. I got the issue on the record with the dealer during the 12k miles service (which took place at 11.4K). At the moment, the oil is still clear with 2K miles since the change and the level dropped somewhat but is still well above the mid poit in the window. For now, I'll keep watching and plan to visit the dealer if/ when the level drops to the bottom 1/3 of the window.

I do get the sense that when ridden gently, the oil level doesn't change, but aggressive rides do have an impact.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts