R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered an oil leak that originated from this bolt, it was so loose I could turn it with my fingers. Would this have been removed for the 12k service on an r1250gs?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to remove that during 12k? Could be wrong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To my knowledge, no.
This is why it's a very sound practice to open a beer, turn on your favorite music and just spend a half hour touching a wrench to every single nut/bolt/screw that you can see on the bike.
You'll be surprised at what you find . . . . . . before it falls off on the trail.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To my knowledge, no.
This is why it's a very sound practice to open a beer, turn on your favorite music and just spend a half hour touching a wrench to every single nut/bolt/screw that you can see on the bike.
You'll be surprised at what you find . . . . . . before it falls off on the trail.
Yea, I should also marker everything with a line so its easy to check, I've gotten kind of lazy with my GS lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you are pointing to the shiny one below the frame bolt then yes. That is where they use the TDC tool to check the valve gaps.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are pointing to the shiny one below the frame bolt then yes. That is where they use the TDC tool to check the valve gaps.
good bit of information - don’t use a TDC tool checking the valves, but now I know what that bolt is for

·
Registered
92 Posts
I discovered an oil leak that originated from this bolt, it was so loose I could turn it with my fingers. Would this have been removed for the 12k service on an r1250gs?

View attachment 30554
A valve check is required at 12k. That plug is removed to install the TDC locating tool. I would think the dealer would utilize this tool. So, yes, I think it was removed at the 12k service and forgotten to be retorqued.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts