R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to many LC R1200GS/GS Adv documented rusty spline issues on I've made it a habit to pull my driveshaft and lube/inspect the driveshaft splines and inspect the boots every 12K miles. When I was rotating my rear tire prior to dropping the driveshaft I noticed a decided "vibration" as I rotated the wheel. When I pulled the driveshaft for inspection I found that the rear U-Joint had a definite notchy feel on one axis of motion.

As I had fortunately purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the bike I buttoned her back up and off she went to Sturgis BMW for inspection. They confirmed my diagnosis and ordered the Driveshaft as the U-joints are not replaceable.

Got Freya back from Sturgis Motorsports BMW with her brand new driveshaft and boots. Warranty paid $1577/BigJohnSD Paid $106 Sales Tax and Shop supplies. First time I've ever had an extended warranty pay more than I paid for it. I went for a little ride and it felt $1577 smoother after the notchy U-joint was replaced. Evidence of Sealing Grease apparent on both boots and they claim they gooped the splines with Moly before assembly. I'll find out at the 60K service.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts