R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are too many variables to get a definitive answer here but wondering if anyone has a similar experience.

I've got about 6k on the bike and just came back from a 5 day trip on some roads with a lot of technical corners - 180 degree uphill, downhill etc. My last bike was an R1200RS which cornered on rails.

My GS has the lowered suspension. I'm 5'8" 160lbs. The bike side cases and top box were fairly full and balanced.

My GS is cornering with what I can only describe as oversteer. I find myself having to make corrections through the turn as I've fallen in too quickly and need to stand the bike up. The rear tire looks good. The front tire sidewalls are slightly more worn than the hard compound center (Bridgestone Battlaxx from factory) which I know will contribute to the issue I've described but much of the turning correction I'm describing is after the bike is already over.

I found my toes (even far up on the pegs) riding with ride height in the low position will drag so pretty much keep ride height on auto. I did find the steering slowed up a bit if I switched suspension firmness from dynamic to road. Same thing when moving throttle from Dynamic Pro to Road but much prefer Dynamic Pro so leave it on that setting.

I'll be sending the bike in for service soon and will get a new front tire (probably a rear too just to keep them matched) and see if that's the issue.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires sounds right to me, as well. I had the same problem with my new tires at first (the previous tires were very neutral). Adding 2PSI reduced the effect slightly on my bike, so you may find some benefit from playing with tire pressure (up or down?). 1,500 miles of wear helped a lot (I'm not dragging the pegs much...). I assume this flattened the tread profile and softened the belts.

A sticky steering damper can also make mid-corner corrections feel worse. I had some grime on the steering damper shaft of my 2017 (I bought it used), adding stiction. Cleaned it up with a few drops of fork oil on a rag, then wiped dry. It felt significantly better in the shop and on the road. Same trick on the forks took away a bit of ride harshness, as well. Just make sure you don't leave them oily - you don't want to collect dirt.

·
Registered
836 Posts
As Rick said its the tires.....I have Shinkos on my bike and my bike is like that.....very twitchy and ready to fall.....and i love it....my friends bike has some street rubber and when i ride that it behaves as if it will never turn......

·
Registered
53 Posts
After switching bike from an FJR to a GS (fitted with Shinkos) I had the same feeling. The switch from Michelin PR 3's to a 50/50 tire was very unsettling-especially in turns. Having now installed a set of the Dunlop Trailsmarts the bike now rides much more securely on the road. I can say that the Trailsmart is not the tire for any challengin off-pavement riding but on pavement they're great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys thanks, this is great and reassuring info. I'll research what to replace these Bridgestones with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any other feedback on the Dunlop Trailsmarts? That is one hell of a deal you've pointed me to Rick. But if I'm putting new rubber on for a season I want to sure to be happy with my choice. I'll pay for that happiness but of course a great deal to boot would make it even better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You say your toes drag in the "low" position? Seems like you'd need crazy lean angles to do that unless you're coasting around the turns, so add some power (not a lot). That will do two things: increase ride height and therefore cornering clearance; also it will try to stand the bike up and thereby reduce/eliminate the oversteer. Also switching suspension mode to "dynamic" (or "firm", not sure what the options are on a 2019) will reduce suspension compression when cornering aggressively.

I have a 2020 GSA (low), and used to have a 2016 GSA (low), and can't say I've ever noticed what you're describing. The 2020 stays in "auto" all the time, and the 2016 was either one helmet or one + luggage depending on load.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, low ride height, toes drag aggressive cornering. I appreciate the feedback and it's not lost on me how to pick the bike back up with the throttle or choosing firmer suspension settings to reduce compression. My point was to try a softer set up to see if it slowed the steering down. It did but the trade off was too much compression/too low of a ride height when over.

The consensus here is tires so, again, any further feedback on the Dunlops would be great. On my RS, the last set of tires I had we're Perilli Angel GT's and I loved them. Not the right tire for this bike though.

BTW: there is no better feeling (well almost) than picking the bike back up with the throttle when driving out of a corner, eh?

·
Super Moderator
742 Posts
It might be the tires but you also mentioned that the bike was loaded. If you're not used to riding with that extra weight up high on the bike it can cause the same effect of tipping in harder than you are used to. It's that polar moment of inertia working against you when you tip it - it wants to just keep going and requires a bit of correction if you put the same input into the bike that you do when there's nothing in the cases.

I have the Touratech 31L/38L cases and the 38L top box and when loaded it's very noticeable on tipping the bike side to side on a twisty road.

Reactions: Pops58

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might be the tires but you also mentioned that the bike was loaded. If you're not used to riding with that extra weight up high on the bike it can cause the same effect of tipping in harder than you are used to. It's that polar moment of inertia working against you when you tip it - it wants to just keep going and requires a bit of correction if you put the same input into the bike that you do when there's nothing in the cases.

I have the Touratech 31L/38L cases and the 38L top box and when loaded it's very noticeable on tipping the bike side to side on a twisty road.
Yeah, that's a really good point. When the tires were newer I did a couple of short trips fully loaded and though I have a memory like a sieve I don't remember it being this"bad" so hoping some of it is the front tire wear.

But you're reminding me I wanted to test the bike without any cases, and it is a beautiful day here...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would also consider Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. They look like 80/20 street/trail tires but perform like 50/50 when needed. Very happy with wear and performance on my 2018 R1200GS

·
Super Awesom Person
609 Posts
Any other feedback on the Dunlop Trailsmarts? That is one hell of a deal you've pointed me to Rick. But if I'm putting new rubber on for a season I want to sure to be happy with my choice. I'll pay for that happiness but of course a great deal to boot would make it even better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah Rick, I read that thanks. I looking for forum feedback from those of you who have them on your bikes!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put the Metzler NEXT on when I replaced Michelins(can’t remember the model). They handle great on the street, however I doubt that they would be for off road. I have had them on dirt & gravel roads and was fine. I just was riding the Great Smokey Mountains and was able to scrub up the sides. At 6000 miles they show some wear and probably will last about 8000-9000.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put the Metzler NEXT on when I replaced Michelins(can’t remember the model). They handle great on the street, however I doubt that they would be for off road. I have had them on dirt & gravel roads and was fine. I just was riding the Great Smokey Mountains and was able to scrub up the sides. At 6000 miles they show some wear and probably will last about 8000-9000.
That's exactly where I just got back from riding, so so beautiful. We had to run the back of the dragon again (4th time) since we passed through Tazewell on the way down. Fun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts