R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll keep it short. Doing head to toe overhaul, I did all the selals on this transmission and all bearings checked in great shape.

A cold night tonight installing the swing arm not paying attention to the right procedure I cracked the case 馃ぁ
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Here in Southern CA we have lot of great aluminum welders. I do have the Touratech reinforcement plates. I'm thinking a good 5356 weld should get the job done. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Registered
2015 R1200GSA
I don鈥檛 see why it could NOT be welded by a professional, but it will be their call as far as if the job could be performed. Good luck.

So I'll keep it short. Doing head to toe overhaul, I did all the selals on this transmission and all bearings checked in great shape.

A cold night tonight installing the swing arm not paying attention to the right procedure I cracked the case 馃ぁ View attachment 31851
View attachment 31850
View attachment 31852

Here in Southern CA we have lot of great aluminum welders. I do have the Touratech reinforcement plates. I'm thinking a good 5356 weld should get the job done. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Registered
Great comment above. A welder can tell you go/no-go based on their skill set. We may say 'yes' but the local welding talent in your area would be the ones to answer you directly.

You (or the welder) will have to fully remove all the paint in the weld area and that is best done by sandblasting by the look at that tight gap between the two threaded bosses. It'd be very challenging to grind all the paint out reliably to complete the outside weld portion. Perhaps look for a welding school near to you or a weld shop that specializes in race components, motorsports in general or engineering builds. Buy a welder & sandblaster and a practice part and learn the craft if you wrench enough on your own equipment.

Good luck to you. Don't beat yourself up about it.......it happens. Seems you've owned it and made peace with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great comment above. A welder can tell you go/no-go based on their skill set. We may say 'yes' but the local welding talent in your area would be the ones to answer you directly.

You (or the welder) will have to fully remove all the paint in the weld area and that is best done by sandblasting by the look at that tight gap between the two threaded bosses. It'd be very challenging to grind all the paint out reliably to complete the outside weld portion. Perhaps look for a welding school near to you or a weld shop that specializes in race components, motorsports in general or engineering builds. Buy a welder & sandblaster and a practice part and learn the craft if you wrench enough on your own equipment.

Good luck to you. Don't beat yourself up about it.......it happens. Seems you've owned it and made peace with it.

Appreciate it thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts