R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on my new R1200 GS its sometimes difficult to drop it into first from neutral, especially on cold starts.

I sometimes have to to engage, then disengage the clutch again before it will kick down.

Is this normal, or something I need to take it back for? Its like an intermittent problem.

·
Free Genie
395 Posts
The solution is to maintain a downward pressure on the gearchange lever while gradually engaging the clutch. As soon as you get a little bit of friction on the clutch, it will turn the shaft in the gearbox and the dogs will engage with first gear. You'll feel first gear snicking in through the gearchange lever.

HTH

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Free Genie
395 Posts
Eventually you will stumble on the site for the German
manufacturer of the BMW transmission whose name
escapes me right now.
Getrag - http://www.getrag.de

However, as I've already indicated, the answer to the "problem" is quite simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The solution is to maintain a downward pressure on the gearchange lever while gradually engaging the clutch. As soon as you get a little bit of friction on the clutch, it will turn the shaft in the gearbox and the dogs will engage with first gear. You'll feel first gear snicking in through the gearchange lever.

HTH
Thanks. Tried it and it works like a charm. No grinding as I was expecting!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey, glad you found the site over here too.

Like I said, get used to "They all do that." :D

I dont do the whole clutch pressure thing, I just rock the bike an inch or so and shift again, works fine. And it won't do it as much as the bike gets miles on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, glad you found the site over here too.

Like I said, get used to "They all do that." :D

I dont do the whole clutch pressure thing, I just rock the bike an inch or so and shift again, works fine. And it won't do it as much as the bike gets miles on it.
LOL. I tried that as well, rock the bike and disengage and engage the clutch. Its either that that did it, or my cursing that got her to respond.:)

Yes. found this site as I cant get on to the bmwlt site. I just get gateway timeout errors. Frustrating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts