R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, I just purchased a 2005 R1200GS. I'm 6'3" tall and want to install bar risers. Seems like the GS bars are different per year and per model. So, with that said, I measured my OEM bars between at the triple clamp and it is (1 1/10 inches). I assume it is 1 1/8 inches after the bar is knurled and has the ridges for seating applied. (Under the tight bar clamp that I want to raise)

Q; What size bars do I have?

I think it is 28mm? And for what it's worth, there are less manufacturers making risers for 28mm bars from what I have seen. Trying to keep this little farkle under $100.

Thanks for your input. Safe travels

Anyone ever use these?
Rox Handlebar Risers For 28mm Bars On Select BMW, KTM, Triumph & Ducati Motorcycles | 2in rise Clear Anodized - Tiger 800 & Tiger 800 XC '10-'14 - Triumph - Shop by Bike | TwistedThrottle.com

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
1-1/8" inches or 28mm is the correct diameter of the handlebars.

The Rox Risers are probably the most popular albeit not the cheapest.
I personally use the Touratech but I only needed a little rise and the 13mm did the trick.
If I needed to go higher I would use the SW-MOTECH for the money they are good and get you up nearly and inch and a quarter (1.18" or 30mm to be exact) and they are well under a hundred dollars.

One thing to keep in mind though is that some of the risers go straight up at the same back angle as the original bar clamp/mount and others go up and back so decide what you need in that regards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I personally use the Touratech but I only needed a little rise and the 13mm did the trick.
If I needed to go higher I would use the SW-MOTECH for the money they are good and get you up nearly and inch and a quarter (1.18" or 30mm to be exact) and they are well under a hundred dollars.

One thing to keep in mind though is that some of the risers go straight up at the same back angle as the original bar clamp/mount and others go up and back so decide what you need in that regards.
Copy that.. Thank you for the reply. That 28mm number was hard for me to commit to until I read multiple customer reviews on risers and believed it was 28mm (1 1/8"). And you are correct. The ROX 2" in my linked above, seemed to be overkill for what I want and need. I did go with the SW-MOTECH 30mm riser in black. Seemed simple, gives me over an inch of rise without changing the steering geometry and pivot point on the bars and triple-clamp. LINK below for anyone looking for risers.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-handlebar-risers-bmw-r1200gs-adventure-f800gs-adventure

·
Registered
18 Posts

I just took delivery of Touratech 40mm risers for my R1200GS and the diameter of the riser seems about 4mm larger than my bar (28mm). I haven't taken them out of the packet as I think they may be for a newer version, perhaps the 1250 adventure? I wouldn't think one half of the diameter would not fit the bar snugly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts