R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am considering changing my 2005 R1200GS both tires. Any advise on which tires brands and suitable size for multi terrain especially I am mostly on normal roads and highways and rarely go off-roading.

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello, I use Haidenau K76 for both front and rear, also like you 90% on road and 10%off road use(rare case). Personal for me they are most suitable for this bike.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
I've tried Anakee IIIs, Heidenau K60 Scouts and most recently Continental TKC70s on my '06. The Anakees were good, long-lived road tires. I don't think they'd work off-road any better than pure street tires, though. And they were loud... in an annoying way, as the front and back would howl at different frequencies, producing an annoying "beat" sound (good physics lesson, though). On the plus side, they lasted over 12,000 miles (almost exclusively road use), the rear retained a rounded profile till the end, and they magically prevented rain the entire time I had them.

The Heidenaus gave a better grip on gravel and other loose stuff (never got a chance to try them in mud or serious dirt). They were OK on the road, at least to the speeds I was willing to ride into blind corners. Noisier than the Anakees. The back started out squared-off and got squarer.

I only have a bit less than 1000 miles on the TKC70s, but they seem OK on the road and somewhere between the Anakees and Heidenaus on gravel (again, no actual dirt yet). They also seem a little slower-handling on pavement than the Anakees.

·
Survivor
746 Posts
Which tires to use is an oft discussed topic on forums. I suggest you search for threads on the topic on ADV Rider and this forum and think you will be overwhelmed with input. Search for specific brands of tires in addition to doing a general search. That way you will get input from hundreds of people instead of from just those that respond to this thread.

In the end you will find each brand has its fans and detractors.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
685 Posts
I just put a Shinko E 705 on my '05 ( front only ). It is rated 80 / 20. Feels quite different from Michelin Anakees. Quieter and less vibration, which surprised me. Price was right. Less than $100, and I probably overpaid. It is rated dual sport.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just put a Shinko E 705 on my '05 ( front only ). It is rated 80 / 20. Feels quite different from Michelin Anakees. Quieter and less vibration, which surprised me. Price was right. Less than $100, and I probably overpaid. It is rated dual sport.

I like the tread pattern,look to be fairly capable on hard pack off road.quieter than anakees caught my attention

Shinko 705's. Cheap durable and pretty versatile. I've paid twice as much for tires that were 1/2 as good.

Do they feel hard and or slick on pavement,in aggressive twisty riding...have intrigued me for some time now

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
685 Posts
Do they feel hard and or slick on pavement,in aggressive twisty riding...have intrigued me for some time now

They do feel a bit more hard on pavement, but as soon as the newness is scrubbed off ( a few hundred miles ), that feeling subsides considerably.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
Haven't had Shinko 705s on the GS, but I was really happy with how they worked on the KLR I had previously. Particularly impressed with how secure they felt in rain. The only downside is they don't last as long as Anakees, Heidis, etc. I think if I were changing my own tires (rather than paying a shop to mount them) I'd be running Shinkos.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Warning. The 705s last forever on the front :grin2:

This tire has been on the front of my '13 GS for 14,000 miles. Still lots of life left.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Haven't had Shinko 705s on the GS, but I was really happy with how they worked on the KLR I had previously. Particularly impressed with how secure they felt in rain. The only downside is they don't last as long as Anakees, Heidis, etc. I think if I were changing my own tires (rather than paying a shop to mount them) I'd be running Shinkos.
For what they cost you could burn through 2 sets and still be ahead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shiko 705

I tried the Shinko 705 tire and loved the price, wear rate was acceptable, Traction in the rain was as good or bad as anything else. Where they failed miserably on a my 2005 1200 GS was that the rear started chunking during a trip across Texas. I would not recommend them on a heavy bike capable of cruising at 100mph.
Right now I am using Contintal Trail Attacks on my GS. The rear was changed at 9000 miles with most of that mileage was two up with luggage at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm looking at trying the Metzler Street Karoo to replace the OEM Anakee 3

Have never been disappointed with any metzlers I’ve run..currently have Torrance next..are amazing on the pavement but limited off road...think I will try Karoo III or these new Karoo streets next year

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shinko 705 (y) , first time I've spooned on a pair myself, in August for less than $150 !(Amazon) and have put on 7k miles on them w no visible wear . Had the Metzler Tourance's before , but lately been riding 50/50 on/off road (granted mostly fire roads) but some snow/water crossing and mud on occasion . 10 hour hwy trip no noise or problems . The one and only time I missed the more street orientated tire's was doing 100+ MPH sweepers with my sport bike riding buddies. Could really feel the knobbiness and it was super unnerving. o_O . Had to slow down and realized the tires do have there limits. I ride w/my GS buddies 95% of the time now anyway. :rolleyes: , Used the balancing beads with no problems but thinking next set using ride-on as had a few friends recently get punctures (repairable) but one was good slash in the tread and no way to fix it. Anyone have any experience with ride-on ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have never been disappointed with any metzlers I’ve run..currently have Torrance next..are amazing on the pavement but limited off road...
I really like my NEXT’s. I can get to peg touching angles without slip on good roads. I haven’t had them on anything really off road, just dirt roads and such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Warning. The 705s last forever on the front :grin2:

This tire has been on the front of my '13 GS for 14,000 miles. Still lots of life left.

Replacing my Metzler Tourance with 705s because of the signs of dry rot. I see it on your front tire as well. I'm new to street bikes. Is this not something to be concerned about?

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
Replacing my Metzler Tourance with 705s because of the signs of dry rot. I see it on your front tire as well. I'm new to street bikes. Is this not something to be concerned about?
Cracks signaling dry rot should be of concern. Been previous threads/comments on date codes of tires. 10 years is the absolute limit for most, some will toss them at 5 even. But cracks would definitely have me changing them, not a good sign.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts