R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently got a fantastic deal on a 2006 R1200GS with a blown motor, looks like it threw a rod through the right hand cylinder. I don't have a ton of details unfortunately.

My immediate questions are simply what's the range of motors I should be looking for that are compatible in terms of year and equipment? And what big items on the new motor should I look into to be sure it'll last a while?

From my searching it seems like the clutch should probably be replaced along with the engine output shaft seal, as they can sometimes weep oil? Beyond a new clutch assembly and general maintenance items, what else can I do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems to me that now you need a fantastic deal on a totalled lower mileage 2005-2008 oilhead with everything bent except the motor/clutch/transmission. Then you could marry the two. I am sure the mechanics on the forum will ask about mileage on your bike and known maintenance ( or lack). It is unusual for this to happen unless the bike was abused or totally worn out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
2004 - 2011 Hexhead motors should be compatible. Check dealership to verify.

My advise is part out the 06 and put the profits towards buying a running Hexhead GS.

Or keep the 06 as a parts bike for yourself and still buy a running Hexhead

Until you buy a motor, clutch and whatever else you find wrong you going to be real close to having spent about the same money you would have buying a clean running bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to me that now you need a fantastic deal on a totalled lower mileage 2005-2008 oilhead with everything bent except the motor/clutch/transmission. Then you could marry the two. I am sure the mechanics on the forum will ask about mileage on your bike and known maintenance ( or lack). It is unusual for this to happen unless the bike was abused or totally worn out.
Now that would be a perfect solution! And you do bring up a good point, I should have brought more info when posting. I'm arranging to pick the bike up today, and will hopefully have some better pictures and more info later on.

2004 - 2011 Hexhead motors should be compatible. Check dealership to verify.

My advise is part out the 06 and put the profits towards buying a running Hexhead GS.

Or keep the 06 as a parts bike for yourself and still buy a running Hexhead

Until you buy a motor, clutch and whatever else you find wrong you going to be real close to having spent about the same money you would have buying a clean running bike.
You bring up a great point about nickle and diming myself on the bike, I'll keep it in mind as I start pricing things out. My hope is that as I can start inspecting the rest of the bike it's clean enough to justify the new motor. Thanks for the info on years!

eBay sometimes has decent deals....
I've seen some motors on eBay that are affordable enough, might be the way I go.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll try and get more info on the bike as soon as I actually have it lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally got the bike delivered, took a few more days than expected.

Once I finally got all the parts laid out, turns out the bike actually dropped a valve:

Would be fun to rebuild, but just not worth it, parts are too pricey. Still considering swapping a motor in.

Rest of the bike is really clean. Looks like it was definitely a highway bike. Higher miles, 81k.

Bike does look pretty well maintained, not a ton of jerry-rigging on the wiring from what I've torn apart so far. Brakes feel good. Clutch pull feels super light, is the clutch on these really that light?!

Question on motor compatibility, there's a 21k mile motor out of a 2010 Adventure, comes with the transmission as well, and well within my budget. Would that work in the 2006? I can see the head covers are slightly different, but visually they look pretty close.

Additionally I got a little more info on the bike's history. Was owned for most of it's life by someone in California, sold to the person I bought it from a few months ago, who then rode it until it blew up while taking off from a stoplight a week ago or so. They weren't super mechanically inclined so had it taken to a local BMW dealer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If the brakes feel good now wait until you turn the key on and the servo's are working.

In theory a 2010 motor/transmission should fit but I'm not sure if there are any nuances like different electrical connectors or bolt patterns.

While you at it I'd run the VIN to see I there are any open recalls.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great point on the recalls lookup, thankfully none open/pending!

Would love to hear if anyone else knows of any issues with a 2006 VS 2010 motor, otherwise I think that motor is the one I'll go with.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If there is an open recall BMW will take care of them. Buying another 09 tomorrow. There is an open recall on the rear wheel hub. It'll take nothing more than a call to the local BMW dealer, give him the VIN, he'll confirm there is an open recall then order the parts and we'll setup an appointment to have the work completed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a 2009 motor for sale in Ohio. $850.00

09 BMW R1200 R 1200 GS R1200GS Adventure Engine Motor | eBay

same dealer with an '07

09 BMW R1200 R 1200 GS R1200GS Adventure Engine Motor | eBay

Where are you geographically located?
Yeah I've been following that guy's auctions. Those are pretty affordable for my budget. My biggest issue is getting the motor. I'm in Denver, and most of the engines on eBay at least are just far away enough that's it hard to justify going to pick them up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And please dont disappear and do let us know how it all went with pics of possible
I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions when I inevitably break something in the process of trying to remove it hahaha. I'll start up a build thread or something when the time comes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally time for a quick update! Motor has been received:

Got a friend coming over later to help unload it.

Next, I'm gonna need y'all to start calling me Phil Swift, cause I just sawed this bike in half:

Everything came apart really easily, except for me forgetting there's a single bolt under the driveshaft holding the back to the front half, spent a good 20 minutes cursing at the bike till it came apart.

You can also see the 2x4 of precise holding that's keeping the front half up lol.

Last, time to get the front end pulled apart. Can I just pull the couple of bolts holding the front end on and pull the forks away, similar to how the back half pulled apart?

Like the two bolts that hold the lower control arm lookin' thing on could come out, disconnect the oil cooler, it seems like it would pull apart really easily?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And got the transmission off, pulled the clutch. Flywheel and pressure plate look okay, if they're not cracked or warped, I should be fine to reuse them, yeah? The clutch itself will definitely get replaced, it's down to about 5mm and with the engine out of the bike I see no reason not to spend the few bucks on a new clutch disc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd resurface both surfaces but then you have to remember you take away from how much wear you get out of the disc. So you may want to just replace. If you can find someone to put a thicker disk on that would compensate for the material removed from the metal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just went ahead and ordered a whole new clutch kit from Beemer Boneyard. Figured it was easier than chancing this clutch going out a few weeks after getting it back together (had that happen, too!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts