R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello World,
I am seeking help with a 'locked' gearbox on my 2006 gsA.
During lockdown and now winter here in the land of Oz, I am doing a major service and fluid change and everything was going fabulous.
I have changed gearbox & final drive oils, brake fluid and clutch oil, removed final drive, driveshaft & swingarm for bearing inspection, regreased and reassembled. All good and no problems, so far.

While preparing to do valve clearance, I tried to use the rear wheel to get TDC when I noticed that the gearbox is seized, or locked.
I cannot rotate the rear wheel by hand, back or forward in any gear with the clutch out, but I can with the clutch in.
I have not tried to start the bike and engage a gear.

The rear wheel rotates all day long in neutral with no noise or vibration, so I'm not concerned about the driveshaft not being in.
I can change gears up and down and the gear indicator on the dash is in sync.

Any advice, suggestions or help will be truly appreciated...before I pull it all apart again!

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
Do you have the spark plugs pulled? If not maybe too much compression to spin the rear wheel?

If the bike is together easiest might be to see if it'll go for a ride. Should not be any reason it is locked up from what you describe.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Remove 1 spark lug from either side and put the bike in 6th gear. It will still take some effort to spin the rear wheel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, for me easiest way for valve clearance check is:
  • removing both spark plugs (primary or outer of both cylinders) removing head covers;
  • removing of front plastic cover of the engine and with wrench (36mm or so) try to rotate engine directly on crankshaft;
  • easyest way for me to find upper point of piston is with pecil trough removed spark plug;
This method is described in service manual (excluding pencil). You have 5 small bolts more unscrew and there is direct access to crankshaft. Never use another method with rear wheel rotation in 6th gear.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi, for me easiest way for valve clearance check is:
  • removing both spark plugs (primary or outer of both cylinders) removing head covers;
  • removing of front plastic cover of the engine and with wrench (36mm or so) try to rotate engine directly on crankshaft;
  • easyest way for me to find upper point of piston is with pecil trough removed spark plug;
This method is described in service manual (excluding pencil). You have 5 small bolts more unscrew and there is direct access to crankshaft. Never use another method with rear wheel rotation in 6th gear.
A little secret I'll share. When you get takeout Chinese food get extra disposable chop sticks. They are great at finding TDC, mixing epoxy, poking around tight areas when you drop a bolt in a awkward location.

046EA2F7-66E8-47BF-9A69-1D75C405F9A6.jpeg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Exactly, like a first prevantive action dismount small correction rubber at upper end. If I drop it in a camera, start not so interesting movie about extracting it. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your advice.
@Niks, I eventually went the front of the crankshaft route, removed both spark plugs and it worked a treat, as far as TDC went.

But it did nothing for the gearbox issue. If I tried to turn in gear, any gear, it was a battle between my breaker bar and something breaking...yet in neutral it turned as it is supposed to.
I'm now very sure there is definitely something wrong in the gearbox.
In any gear I can rotate the wheel forward or backwards about 50mm and then it stops very abruptly with a 'clunk' noise coming from the gearbox, in neutral the wheel turns freely with no noise or resistance at all.
So I've pulled the bike apart again, up to the airbox at the moment, and hopefully will drop the gearbox out on the weekend.

At least I have something to keep me occupied during the 'lockdown'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, final drive and drive shaft are fine. As I said earlier in my post, spin freely all day long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be sure to give us a heads up as to what you find as it's all a little mystifying!! Where in Oz do you live??
Will do. Pulled it all back down to the airbox atm. Work and other life commitments in the way now, but hope to get the gearbox out this weekend.
Bendigo, in the land of lockdown - Victoria.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Will do. Pulled it all back down to the airbox atm. Work and other life commitments in the way now, but hope to get the gearbox out this weekend.
Bendigo, in the land of lockdown - Victoria.
Well aren't you the lucky one! "Dan the man" running the ship :rolleyes:!!! I was thinking if you lived close by I could give you a hand but I'm well Nth of your location in Qld... Fingers crossed it's a simple fix!!

Cheers.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well aren't you the lucky one! "Dan the man" running the ship :rolleyes:!!! I was thinking if you lived close by I could give you a hand but I'm well Nth of your location in Qld... Fingers crossed it's a simple fix!!
@Spirit of Oz, thanks for the kind offer, but with our Hotel California "checkout anytime you like but you can never leave" style lockdown, you'd never see your family again:confused:
Next stage of the lockdown will be to cut along the borders and tow us out into Bass Strait!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same issue on my 2006 R1200GS Adv 77,500klm, out of the blue after an 1800klm ride, the last leg being 10 minutes and 2klm, not having a single issue in that time.

But I have come to ride her again today to find my gearbox is locked when put into gear, exactly as you describe. All ok in neutral.

Did you sort it out, or find a solution? or was the gearbox strangley farked with no warning?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same issue on my 2006 R1200GS Adv 77,500klm, out of the blue after an 1800klm ride, the last leg being 10 minutes and 2klm, not having a single issue in that time.

But I have come to ride her again today to find my gearbox is locked when put into gear, exactly as you describe. All ok in neutral.

Did you sort it out, or find a solution? or was the gearbox strangley farked with no warning?
"Locked in gear" as in the bike in on the center stand and is running in neutral then when you put it in 1st gear east the clutch out and the motor stalls because the rear wheel will not turn?

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Locked in gear"
Thanks for the reply. I have good advice now that the clutch is simply stuck to the clutch plate because of the rain that got in during a particularly heavy rainfall and the fact my bike happened to be sitting under a blocked gutter overflow point unbeknownst to me!

I confirmed the diagnosis by starting the bike in second gear while on the center stand. I shall update with the final solution to this when I get it done. Typically it has happened at a most inconvenient time,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have good advice now that the clutch is simply stuck to the clutch plate because of the rain that got in during a particularly heavy rainfall and the fact my bike happened to be sitting under a blocked gutter overflow point unbeknownst to me!

I confirmed the diagnosis by starting the bike in second gear while on the center stand. I shall update with the final solution to this when I get it done. Typically it has happened at a most inconvenient time,
Yep the ol clutch plate rusted onto the flywheel trick, you've confirmed by running in 2nd gear if you can run clutch-less thorough all gears then that would be the icing on the cake!! Gearbox is good to go...
Had an F100 that did the same thing, humidity & just sitting... Broke the rust bond with the starter motor... Put in gear with a quick jab on the key a couple of times did the trick....... Keep us posted! Good luck..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep the ol clutch plate rusted onto the flywheel trick, you've confirmed by running in 2nd gear if you can run clutch-less thorough all gears then that would be the icing on the cake!! Gearbox is good to go...
Had an F100 that did the same thing, humidity & just sitting... Broke the rust bond with the starter motor... Put in gear with a quick jab on the key a couple of times did the trick....... Keep us posted! Good luck..
Just had another thought 🤪... If jogging the starter strategy doesn't work, get the bike into a down hill position, jump on & select 1st gear, hit the starter long enough so that the motor will start... You should be able to shift clutch less as the g/box isn't the issue.. Find an open straight stretch of rd preferably with no traffic... Then in a high gear give it the berries as hard as you can then snap the throttle closed as quick as possible but do this action with the clutch lever pulled in so that the clutch plate is actually disengaged from the flywheel...
That action might just be enough force to dislodge the clutch plate from the flywheel... It may take a few goes with fingers crossed to get a result but no guarantees!!
If all the above doesn't work then you'll be looking at some major surgery which on the face of it isn't all that complicated, just a time consuming pain in the ring... Good luck brother!! 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep us posted! Good luck..
Just an update for completeness.

I tried a couple of different methods to release the apparent stuck clutch without success, coming to the conclusion (as mentioned above also) that I needed to get the beast out onto the road to give it some proper welly to release the stuck clutch plates as I simply could not generate enough force to decouple the clutch with her on the center stand.

I reside in a tricky place to get the bike to a point I can return it to the house should the clutch not break its grip, my concern was having to stop at a junction which would render me stuffed.

After much umming and ahhing and playing it over in my mind, I finally got the courage to attempt the feat tonight, late at night specifically where the traffic was much lighter so I would not be forced to stop at any junctions prior to getting to the motorway..

After a rolling downhill start stall into 2nd gear, I tried again into 1st gear and got her going, then success even prior to getting to the motorway.. pulled the clutch in and gave her some welly and after the second or third handful of throttle the clutch broke free with a bit of a bang. Phew.. much relief. Took her for a spin and tested the clutch at high speed roll on and all seems well.

We shall in the morning if the plates stick again but I do not think they will.. but for now I shall rest easy and sleep well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts