R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! Just curious to find out if anyone else has orders parts, o-rings and crush washers, using the BMW parts website for their R1200GSA and found that the parts do not quite fit. I wonder if 2007 was a transition year and maybe my bike was assembled with whatever parts were left in inventory during the manufacturing process, not only from the GSA production line but perhaps the GS and RT production lines. Most recently I fixed a leak on the front balancer shaft cover. The brand new o-ring leaked worse than the old one. The crush washers for the tranny are different sizes than what I received new from ordering.

Registered
2004 R1200GS - 2009 R1200GS are all the same save for some nuisances like different side stands, bodywork and ABD rings 2004-2006 vs 2007 2007. Also handle bars switches are different from year to year.

O-rings and crush washers are the same over the entire span of hexhead years. As are oil/air filters, wheel/swingarm bearings, brake pads, brake disc, swingarm and ball joint rubber boot etc.

Sounds like you may have gotten miss labeled parts

Registered
I also have problem with my o-rings from official dealer. These for engine oil and gearbox are same. Old are bit deformed after tightening, but at the moment I dont found same rubber sealing for final drive draining. May be when open it I should seek same by diameter.
Actually this is a minor problem for me. All another parts are with superior quality. After maintenance and first riding, day or two I seek leakeges. If all is OK, work is well done for me even with some old sealing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I went to Autozone and bought some gasket material and made my own gasket for the front balancer shaft cover. It stopped the leak. Even with the new O-ring, it was leaking a significant amount of oil. It is also possible that the o-ring they sold me was ancient and lost its pliability. My bike is also leaking a little around the oil breather tube so I ordered a new o-ring for that connection. We'll see if that o-ring works. I did my own final drive service so I know there are design differences on the final drive between my GSA and later years, not just the left v right, but location of drain plug. On my final drive the oil needs to be added via the rear wheel sensor hole.

Registered
I went to Autozone and bought some gasket material and made my own gasket for the front balancer shaft cover. It stopped the leak. Even with the new O-ring, it was leaking a significant amount of oil. It is also possible that the o-ring they sold me was ancient and lost its pliability. My bike is also leaking a little around the oil breather tube so I ordered a new o-ring for that connection. We'll see if that o-ring works. I did my own final drive service so I know there are design differences on the final drive between my GSA and later years, not just the left v right, but location of drain plug. On my final drive the oil needs to be added via the rear wheel sensor hole.
On the early hexheads 2004/2006 there is no drain boss at the bottom of the rear drive. You must hinge the rear drive down off the drive shaft and let it drain through the hole at the 3 o-clock position. There all are to be filled via the speedo sensor hole. The later 2007+ rear drives had drain at the bottom of the rear drive.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting - I bought the GS-911wifi to check my abs. It points to a bad rear wheel sensor even after I installed a new one. Of course I ordered the sensor for a 2007+ final drive which the parts manual says has the drain plug on the bottom. I checked for recalls on this bike and at some point a recall for some component on the final drive must have been addressed. That recall pops up for the year, make and model, but not for my VIN. Sooooo I am wondering if someone along the line swapped the final drive on my 2007 out with a pre2007 final drive. That may explain my abs issues with the rear wheel sensor. The sensor has to be close to the ring inside the final drive for it to work well. I did have a surprise the other day. While riding the abs error light just went off. But after riding for some time it came back on. The journey continues. I am learning a lot about abs and the difference between the Hall effect and reluctor designs for sensors, etc. if I understand correctly, my bike uses the reluctor design. I cut one open last night and played around with it and my multi-meter. It seems to have a diode in it and the leads have a definitive +/- orientation. I plan to grind the head apart this weekend. (Rainy weather)

Super Moderator
My 2007 GSA (built 09/06) has no drain plug at bottom of final drive.

Registered
Interesting - I bought the GS-911wifi to check my abs. It points to a bad rear wheel sensor even after I installed a new one. Of course I ordered the sensor for a 2007+ final drive which the parts manual says has the drain plug on the bottom. I checked for recalls on this bike and at some point a recall for some component on the final drive must have been addressed. That recall pops up for the year, make and model, but not for my VIN. Sooooo I am wondering if someone along the line swapped the final drive on my 2007 out with a pre2007 final drive. That may explain my abs issues with the rear wheel sensor. The sensor has to be close to the ring inside the final drive for it to work well. I did have a surprise the other day. While riding the abs error light just went off. But after riding for some time it came back on. The journey continues. I am learning a lot about abs and the difference between the Hall effect and reluctor designs for sensors, etc. if I understand correctly, my bike uses the reluctor design. I cut one open last night and played around with it and my multi-meter. It seems to have a diode in it and the leads have a definitive +/- orientation. I plan to grind the head apart this weekend. (Rainy weather)
Both of my 07 do not have drain plugs. The recall for the rear drive was the wheel flange. Originally they used aluminum flanges the rear wheel was bolted too. If you over torques the bolts the flange would split and you can imagine whats next. The recall replaces the aluminum with a steel version. I had the recall done on my 2009GSA, 2009 GS and a 2005 GS in the last year.

If you have a drain on th erear drive it is likely that the rear drive was swapped out at some point. Both 2005's both 06"s and both 07's did not have drains both 2009's do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies concerning the final drive. I am grasping at straws. I ran the GS-911wifi abs tests and all the tests pass except I have this fault pointing to the rear wheel sensor. The sensor itself seems okay - I ripped the original one apart and tested it with my voltmeter. No sign of a defect. So I am just guessing now. There could be a bad wire in the wiring harness between the abs module and the connection point underneath the seat. Or there is an issue with the gap after I inserted the rear wheel sensor into the final drive. I installed the o-ring on the sensor after I put the centering ring on the sensor according to the manual but when I removed it, the centering ring may have be closest to the final drive. There is an open recall for the bike (2007 R1200GSA) that was just issued. (Fuel line/pump issue) I may just let the dealer's mechanics perform their guess work on it when I take it in for the recall. I can ride without the abs so the issue is not really slowing me down. I am in no hurry to take it in since I don't seem to be suffering from the fuel issue. Winter is coming though.

Registered
If you not concerned with ABS you can also open the dash and cover the film where the ABS light shows through with a piece of electrical tape. Then you do not have to see the ABS light on all the time. It takes 20 minutes. Once the instrument/headlight cluster is out of the bike remover 3 clips to separate the dash from the headlights then remove 5 or 6 screws on the back of the instrument cluster and cover comes off to expose the 5 LED lighted recesses and idiot light film. BE aware there are clips also that hold the cover on so gently work it do not pry it off with a screwdriver or force it.

F8.jpg
F9.jpg

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts