R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am in the process of outfitting my (new-to-me) 2008 1200GS. I rely on my mechanic for most things, but I’d like to figure out how to hook into the power of the bike for a USB charger and possibly putting power in the Vario top bag. How do I do this? What do I need in terms of cables and accessories??? Does it all have to come from a cable connected to the battery terminals? I remember when I bought the bike they looked around for the power socket, pointed it out, but I had other things on my mind (like getting used to handling the bike) when I started to ride it. I have yet to find a good diagram of how to hook up this particular year model.

There’s soooo much info out there it’s hard to wade through it all. I’m looking for something simple. A pre-wired tank bag from RKA looks like a good addition, but where do I plug it in?

I have a battery tender extension…

Thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
2015 R 1200 GS
19 Posts
I have a battery tender extension…
That would be the easiest way to connect a SAE-USB adapter .

Another way to consider if you have more accessories to come is to add something like Denali power distributor. this will connect directly to the battery and it will allow you to connect each accessory to a separate fuse inside the box .

·
Premium Member
2015 R 1200 GS
19 Posts

Here is the one I meant

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
FZ-1 Fuseblocks are nice. 6 fused power sources built in 30 amp relay and can be wired for triggered power. $89 is easy money for what you get. Also very compact. Fits nicely under the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FZ-1 Fuseblocks are nice. 6 fused power sources built in 30 amp relay and can be wired for triggered power. $89 is easy money for what you get. Also very compact. Fits nicely under the seat.
Thank you! $89 sounds a lot better than $150 for Denali, but I imagine like everything, you get what you pay for. I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here is the one I meant
Thanks! I’ll check it out.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
525 Posts
I have converted my Touratech tank bag (the brand did not matter, that could be done on any soft or hard luggage) to have some internal 12 V.

I have a DIN plug fuse-wired to the battery (I wanted my bag to be powered all the time(

Inside, there is a 2 outlet USB charger

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
525 Posts
When I don't use the tank bag, the bike-side plug sleep peacefully in the bag attaching point.

And connect like this, I left enough slack to flip the bag forward to fill with gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts