R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I'm new to this forum.
I'm considering buying a 2008 BMW R 1200 GS which has very low miles, but since I've never own one of these motocycles before, I'm not sure what to expect as far as problems in the near and distance future.

Can anybody tell me what I may or may not encounter during the ownership of this vehicle ?

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to learning about this community.

BMW

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not sure what to expect as far as problems in the near and distance future.
BMW not sure I am qualified to tell you what to expect as far as problems go. I am only on week 3 of ownership of a 2005 1200gs. What I can tell you is maintenance on these bikes is relatively easy and pain free even for us people who have never owned BMW before. I just finished up a complete service on my bike this weekend. There are many many resources online for parts (new and used) and how to's. So far GS ownership has been a complete joy!

Cheers!

Ryan

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
I'm considering buying a 2008 BMW R 1200 GS which has very low miles, but since I've never own one of these motocycles before, I'm not sure what to expect as far as problems in the near and distance future.

Can anybody tell me what I may or may not encounter during the ownership of this vehicle ?

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to learning about this community.

BMW
Sure. Pretty much any part on the bike could fail, and has at least once, and the person for whom it broke posted about it somewhere on the internet. That's the nature of mechanical things. On the other hand, the vast majority of these bikes run a long time and long distance without anything breaking. BMW has a well-deserved reputation for longevity and reliability.

A couple years ago, after buying an '06 with 50,000 miles, I stumbled upon an online registry in which people had entered, and then occasionally updated, information on a few hundred GSs. Like many things on the web, the registry was more or less abandoned in place a few years after being started, and is now rarely updated. But I did harvest data on about 100 bikes with non-trivial mileage in the 2005-2009 period. Never got around to posting the results of my analysis, but the numbers did reassure me that I would probably ride the bike for many years without encountering a major problem. An '08 ought to be even better, as most of the problems I found in the registry were on '05-06 models (the R1200GS had a lot of new tech compared to the R1150GS, and there were some teething problems).

If you are in the USA, you can access the NHTSA database with the bike's VIN to verify that all recall work has been done, particularly the fuel pump update and rear wheel flange replacement.

Another point I should mention is that in my view the '08-09 should be the easiest to maintain. It's old enough to still have screw-and-locknut valve adjusters (vs. replaceable shims on the later models), but new enough to have conventional (non-servo) ABS and a final drive with a drain plug. Not a huge deal (not enough to make me trade in my '06), but rather nice if you're doing your own maintenance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love these posts...

The OP has no desire to research the forum or the Internet, so the first post is just to make his life very easy.
Yet, this forum is full of information and the Internet full of horror stories >:)

It is a Bavarian Money Waster and things will break eventually. The bike is nearly 10 years old!
Where is the bike located, where was it parked, how many previous owners, ridden in Winter, trashed off road and so on and on...

Sorry Buddy, but you need to give a little more input to get some output. The weather in the Northern Hemisphere is getting better so people spend less time online.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 R1200GS, which is the exact same bike just purchased a year later. Other than the well known fuel strip problem, I've had no issues with the bike. Note that I use it primarily for street riding - have taken it on a few forest roads, but nothing that would be considered "off road".

The fuel strip is a sensor that BMW uses to measure fuel levels. Mine worked great for several years before failing. Since it failed, BMW has been unable to install one that worked properly. Currently it tells me I am out of fuel when I still have 2/3 of a tank left...

·
I'd rather be flying
236 Posts
Out of the 15 to 20 bikes that I've owned, I had my 2005 GS the longest. It was the best bike I've owned. Maintenance was super easy. The problems that I had with the bike were all related to plastic parts weathering and wearing away over time. By parts, I mean part. The only problem that I had with the bike was the plastic quick-disconnects on the gas tank. There were other non-essential plastic parts that broke but the fuel connection was the only one that kept my bike from running until replacement parts arrived. I bought it in 2007 and I sold it at the end of 2017 after I got a 2014 GS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2009 R1200GS, which is the exact same bike just purchased a year later. Other than the well known fuel strip problem, I've had no issues with the bike. Note that I use it primarily for street riding - have taken it on a few forest roads, but nothing that would be considered "off road".

The fuel strip is a sensor that BMW uses to measure fuel levels. Mine worked great for several years before failing. Since it failed, BMW has been unable to install one that worked properly. Currently it tells me I am out of fuel when I still have 2/3 of a tank left...
Thank you very much MotoCoder, and also to the rest of you who offered helpful info answers to my question.
This is what I'm looking for. Pattern failures. The bike I'm considering is here in California, a 08' and has only 16K on it. The original owner has had 1 abs modulator fail and it needs another now. Dealer is quoting $2K for the part. I also saw a video on UTube that told of a buyer that had a fork break. But that failure maybe a seldom heard.

And as I stated, I'm new to this forum. I'm having quite a bit of problem figuring out had to get around and use this site. I've found that many forum sites like this one can be difficult for myself to use.

Thank you again to all who have offered helpful information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 1200 GS high mileage.

Hi,

Could you please give me advice on this bike? I am in Houston and looking for a BMW for going to work 2 or 3 days a week (100 miles per day)

I am not sure if it will need any big maintenance or engine repair due to mileage. From the exterior, the bike looks fine and taken care for. Thank you!

$ 6,000 - OBO
2008 BMW R1200 GS
VIN: WB10313068ZU44433
72,635 miles
orange-yellow gold / black / gray
Vario Cases
2 sets of keys
ABS / ESA System / Traction Control / RDC Tire Pressure Monitoring / Sport and Comfort suspensions
RAM Phone Mount
TouraTech Seat

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
127 Posts
I'm in my 5th year of ownership of a 2009 R1200gs. Got it used at 44000 Km (27300 Miles) passed the 10200 Km (63400 Miles) a few weeks ago.

My GS sees a lot of action (off-road, GS Challenge, travelling 2up with full camping gear) and, I never had any problem, not even the fuel strip...

But, I got my GS from a good dealer who traded the bike from a regular customer (the gave me all it's service report and his phone number so I can talk to him). I knew how it was stored/used/maintained and I was sure that bike had a good start in life.

On the other hand, marcimark is right, we (and you) need to know more about the bike you are interested into:
-How many owners before you (BMW owner tends to keep their bikes longer than average, if a bike changed hand often, there might be a reason).
-Can the dealer track some maintenance with the VIN, were the recalls performed
-Any pending recalls
-Any signs that the bike was worked on by a 'less then careful person' (bolts that are not Torx or Allen, wiring repaired with cheap sticky and unraveling electrical tape, fuses over the recommended value, stripped fastener head, unassorted bolts, etc.)

Do your homework, get back to us with your findings and we'll be able to give you better answers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts