R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my bike out Friday for a ride Saturday, fired right up, after sitting for 3 months. Rode it for 10 minutes. Saturday morning, cranked fine but not even close to firing, like there was no gas (3/4 tank) or no spark. Tried again Saturday afternoon after the battery was recharged. Nothing. Any ideas before I haul it to the dealer? Thanks

Oh, 25,000 miles on bike.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like the kickstand is down while in gear, or the kickstand kill switch is bad. Mine won't start if the passenger is even slightly depressing the kickstand with their toe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually with the kickstand down it wont even crank, so thats not it. Im going to see if I am getting a spark today so I can narrow it down to electrical or fuel

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Guess... the residual gas in your injectors has turned to hardened varnish, gumming up the device. Pull an injector and aim it at a bucket in a well ventilated area and try to start the bike? See a good spray pattern? Repeat with the other cylinder. If one or more aren't giving you a good spray your injectors will need cleaning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked the spark and it is good. I can check the injectors but what is confusing is that it ran fine the day before? Fuel pump? I hear the fuel pump running when I turn on the key (assume its the fuel pump)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scotty,

Just checked the kick stand again to make sure I was not giving out bad info. With the kick stand down and in gear it will not crank, in N, it will.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I missed the part where you said it ran the day before. Sorry about that. In any case you were correct when you said "like there was no gas" given that the injector isn't firing. Could be the injector, could be related to engine management not triggering the injector, could be the fuel pressure regulator, probably some other things, too. Most will need some diagnostics equipment you may not have to check.

A GS-911 can check if there are any fault codes.
A scope can see if the fuel injector is being triggered.
A fuel pressure gauge can check that the pressure regulator and fuel pump are doing their job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx Marc,

Do you think its worth seeing if the fuel pump is working by disconnecting a hose prior to the injectors? If so, where would you recommend. If not, put it on a diagnostic machine (gs 911 $$$$)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I don't know if the quick disconnect on the fuel return line has an automatic shutoff. If it doesn't you should be able to disconnect that line (it's behind the plastic body panel on the right side of the bike) and aim it toward a container. Turn the ignition on. Gas will come out of the line if:

1) the line does NOT have an automatic shutoff
2) the pressure regulator is working
3) the fuel pump is working.

I'd expect to see a burst of gas as the fuel pump pressurizes the line when the key is turned on. It's that number 1) above which I'm unsure about. If the quick disconnect is the kind that seals when disconnected then this test wont work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Disconnected the injector from the fuel line and still no gas. Must be controller or pump. I did notice that my fuel pump does not have a cover (2008). I bought it used, is it missing or did they not use them on the 08's

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
There was a change with regards to a cover. Don't remember which bikes had/didn't havae them. It could be that your fuel pump controller is bad. This was a known issue. You can bypass the controller and apply 12V directly to the pump. If you don't think you can do it without harming your current parts you can get one of these... BurnsMoto - BMW Motorcycle Fuel Pump Bypass Cable

I'd disconnect the controller and remove it. If you see corrosion on/under/arround the controller that is probably the issue. If not I'd still try to wire up 12V to the fuel pump and see if it pressurizes the system. If it does then you know the controller isn't working and needs replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts