R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo to all.
looking for the right tool size that Pro Motion sell for this job.
Is it a 25mm or the 20mm to tackle this job?
Also what is the bearing (S) numbers please? as well as the seal part number.
I see different numbers listed here and there.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The stock bearing for the 2008 front wheel is a 6205DU (LU suffix is the same) the size is 25x52x15 BMW part# 36318548335
The Timken 205PP is probably the best quality replacement bearing for this application and made in the US.

This fits both the alloy and spoke wheels from 2005-2012 (2013 GSA)

Right side Shaft Seal size is 35x52x7 BMW Part #07118561709

Left Side Shaft Seal size is 30x52x7 BMW Part #07118561708

I would buy aftermarket parts to do the front wheel bearing job using high quality bearings (Timken, SKF, Nachi etc), the brand of front wheel seal is not as crucial as it just a dust seal and the sealed bearings are already protected, I use National (Federal Mogul) brand that can be found at you local auto parts stores for good prices.
Just be careful about fake bearings, many name brands sold on Ebay are knock-off's and not worth the cost of shipping especially if they are coming from Turkey or China.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much.
So the both bearings are the same but the seals are different for the spoke wheel.
Any place online that you trust?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
Hey guys, reopening this old thread. I think I know the answer but wanted to check.

Pulled wheels for a new set of shoes on my 2007 1200GSA. First time I've had a chance to check front wheel bearings and find no grinding but they turn really hard with your fingers. Assume it would be wise to replace? With 37,000 miles I assume they are original. Pictures attached of shaft...some light grooves but none catch a fingernail when pulled across them.

Then decide on where to buy them...local Fastenal has some for $6 each (Bearings Limited brand) but seems I should spend more for Timken if I can find them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
Decided to replace the bearings. Local Napa had two options:
PGB P62052RSJ @ $5.59 ea
BRN 2762052RSR @ $27.19 ea

No surprise cheap one was make in China (Schaeffler I think), the more expensive was an FAG made in Portugal. Went with FAG as it felt a lot tighter.

Brief test ride in the 35F weather with new tires, great to be back on the bike!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Timken are good bearings so are in no specifies order

Koyo, Fag, SKF, Nachi all avalaible on line for a fraction more than no name questionable quality stuff.

I would shy away from no name stuff. All Ball and Moose make convenient bearing seal kits but they use no name bearings that they source for dog only know.

For seals we use a lot of TCM brand at work which mean I sue them at home with great success.

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
This time I was in a rush as I was riding yesterday...plan ahead for sure when changing the front tire!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts