R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much fuel this bike is supposed to hold? Owners manual says 5.3 gal with 1.1 reserve. I can tell you for sure that isn't correct as I ran out at 206 miles with a full load to begin with. The bike showed that it was getting 42.4 mpg so I figured I could do 220 easy...wrong, plus I didn't trust it when at 162 it told me I had 42 miles left...didn't do that again! Anyway the most I could get in it even when it said 10 miles left was 4.8 gal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You'd probably have to fuel up with the bike on its center stand to get a truly full tank. There will be a small air pocket on the top right side of the tank when the bike is on its side stand.

If you're that specific, carry a 1.5L fuel bottle and just ride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Recently on a trip to Labrador there is stretch of 250 miles between fuel stop.

I have a 2007 R1200GS and we rode conservatively at no more than 55 mph and gently on the throttle I made it with 13 miles of fuel left or so said the computer. If we rode normally I'd have been short my 35/40 + miles.

I don't remember how much fuel I put in exactly but it was over 19 liters.

Also on fill up I put the bike on the center stand and wiggle the bike side to side to burp the air pocket from around the filler neck. Next time I have the tank off I'm drilling a couple holes in the filler neck just below the seal so it'll self vent the air pocket.

Also don't let the owners manual fool you. You have a 5.3 aka 20L tank total. Once approximately 4.2 gallons of fuel is consumed the low fuel light will come on letting you know you have approximately 1.1 gallon of fuel left.

Now even with having a 20L tank since it is plastic it can bulge and hold more than 20L I have put in a little over 20L in and the commuter saying I still had15 miles to empty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured. My mistake trusting the owners manual and not the bike. Ran out on the 1st leg of what ended up being a 3800 mile trip so every 180 miles I was looking for fuel. I tanked up on the side stand but from now on I'll put it on the centerstand. Range did go up as mpg increased to 45.6 mpg. Thanks much for the response.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My interpretation is 5.3 gallons with (including) 1.1 gallon reserve. Since there is no way of knowing when reserve starts (like the toggle switch on carbureted bikes), I set my "Trip A" meter to 0 with each fill up. If you have a Nav V or Nav VI, you can set it up so that with 1 press on the wunderwheel will show miles since fill up and range remaining. No Nav? Then you just flip thru the options using the info button on the left handlebar.

·
Registered
288 Posts
my '10

will consistently get 320+km to a tank (highway). DEPENDING ON RIDING CONDITIONS AND TERRAIN
*I Always fuel up on centrestand
*I always use 98 RON
*I run suspension on solo + no load soft, or solo + load soft (but it varies)
*Check tyre pressures before you ride - just me no gear 37F/40R cold maybe 38/41 1up with gear. (but it varies) I'm 105kg
*Service regularly and properly.

don't fret too much, get to know your bike and what is realistic. Ive found I get better mileage from 3500 to 5000rpm. Running revs below that is cruel and should result in public flogging...:wink2:
cheers
Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after 3800 miles I pretty much figured the bike out. This is my first BMW in 42 years of riding. I run 34F and 37R which feels good. I'm always solo and of course on the trip loaded up. MPG increased as I went with a mix of twisties and interstate topping out at 45.6 MPG. Usually run 80-85 MPH on the slab. Premium fuel always. The bike has TFX suspension front and rear which I found easy to adjust and seems to work great. Gotta say that I was never a big fan of Beemers but this bike has changed my mind. Kinda like your favorite album...1st time you heard it it was ok but after 5 times it turned out to be your favorite. I'll put a lot of miles on this one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow

Not once have I ever concerned myself with the details of fuel efficiency. I just get fuel as needed and the world still seems to be okay. There doesn’t appear to be a valid reason to know how far I can go on a tank of fuel. Either that or I’m wrong...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Slower (under 65 mph)= better mileage maybe 200 miles per tank.
93 octane with no ethanol = better mileage.
No severe head winds = better mileage.
Dafting semis= suicide

I ride a 2011gs

·
Registered
124 Posts
I fill her up before the RESERVE warning light comes on... I don't like running the risk that the impurities/water at the bottom are sucked in the system, even if there are filters to prevent this from happening.
Not to mention the inevitable anxiety during the final kilometers before running completely empty....:nerd:

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
524 Posts
I look forward to fuel stops on long run trips. Start looking at 150 mile mark. Stretch, nibble and sip time. My gauge is unreliable drops from Full to 1/2 when it gets the mood. Nothing in between. Starts to nag me with "45 miles to go" but never takes more than 3.5 gallons on fill up. I am used to it. One of these days I will pick up one of those spare fuel carry bottles that mount on the pannier exterior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't care about fuel economy. It is what it is. On long trips I would usually do 100 miles or so get off hydrate, walk around a bit, get back on do another hundred repeat, tank up. That was on my Tiger which holds 6.2 gal and would do 230 miles easy. On the GS I had to change the plan. Intervals on the last trip were 90 miles so tanking up every 180. I used premium fuel the whole trip. Tough to find premium non-eth in a lot of places. I just find that 100 mile stints are comfortable for me. Of course as the day passes that hundred might turn into 80...not as young as I once was! I usually do around 400 +- miles or so a day. Bike is a '10 GS low with stock seat. Full drop on rear of seat and full high on front. Comfy for me. Off the subject but anyone experience hi oil temp when in traffic? I was stuck in traffic in town, bumper to bumper 90 degrees and oil temp pegged after 15 minutes and it took a while to come back down....Bit concerning

1 - 12 of 12 Posts