R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
Im new to this forum but hope to stay for a long time.
Im 32 and currently riding a 2015 Ducati Scrambler (that helped me made my mind to go for GS instead of R9T). Ive taking it to couple of long camping trips with a bit of unpaved terrain and really enjoyed it, however bike is too small for me (6'2")also not having large panniers and 120mile range is really PITA.

Im looking at two bikes 2011GSA+nav ($9k) and 2012GS ($7.5k), both around 45k miles . Im tempted to go for the GSA as a bit more is usually always nice. Or should I just spend a bit more and get a 2013+ GS.

Update: Apparently they have sold the GSA so ill be looking at the '12 GS today. It comes with Panniers crash protector Fog lights and injector protectors. My question would be is it a good price and possibly jump to the newer models in the future?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you considered the r ninet scrambler, it half decent of road and good on road. It comes down to how much trail riding your going to do.
With the gs i would look at the oil cooled models as you should be able to pick up a good second hand one with plenty on kit on it a lot cheaper than the lc modle. The lc's are more powerfull but most times you will not notice.
At the two you are looking at the main difference is the lager fuel tank on the gsa. It will mainly come down to condition and what deal you can get, also the gsa is a physicaly larger bike than the normal gs.

·
Reprobate
142 Posts
I've had no complaints with my hexhead ('10 to '12) GSAs. Before that I rode an '07 GS. There are other significant differences between the GS and GSA. Of course the fuel capacity. For me that was the driving force in my decision to trade up to the GSA. As I began riding further and further, especially out west where gas stations were not as plentiful, the extra gallons became more desirable. The GSA is taller, with longer suspension travel, which at your height might be a better fit. It has a lower first gear that I find particularly useful in low speed maneuvers and for those rare occasions when I find myself in commuter traffic. The carrying capacity of the luggage is fantastic. The aux lights make you more conspicuous and can easily be swapped out for driving lights like the Clearwater Kristas I use. And it comes with crashbars standard.

Both are good bikes. Look at how you intend to use them, how far and where you'll ride, and what you'll take with you when making your choice.

I am not planning on going to the new water cooled GSA for a couple of reasons. 1) I'm perfectly happy with what I have now. It has more than enough power and the ergonomics are spot on for me. 2) I ride in all sorts of conditions - fog, rain, sleet, snow as long as there's no ice or salt - and the new bikes come loaded with electronics that I'll never be able to fix myself. No matter how well sealed, things eventually leak. So I'll count myself lucky to have bikes I like, and which will never be less enjoyable than they are now.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was debating about the r9t before but decided the GS is the route i want to go as i like to take long camping trips.

This is the ?12 GS i am looking for. $8500 out the door. 43k miles. Just im not sure if its a good deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was debating about the r9t before but decided the GS is the route i want to go as i like to take long camping trips.

This is the ?12 GS i am looking for. $8500 out the door. 43k miles. Just im not sure if its a good deal.
I think pricing is all relative to the market the bike is sold in. Here in Colorado the market for used GS and GSA bikes is probably stronger than the Vegas area due to demand.

That said, that GS your looking at would easily go for a couple thousand more here. I paid 9500 for an 09 GSA with 41k on it a month ago and thought I got a fair deal. (not a smoking one) You should price those aluminum cases on it, that should put the 8500 bucks in a bit different perspective. Talk to the service department about the history of the bike (if it was serviced there) and if it's been a relatively trouble free machine I would probably buy it.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
261 Posts
...At the two you are looking at the main difference is the lager fuel tank on the gsa. It will mainly come down to condition and what deal you can get, also the gsa is a physicaly larger bike than the normal gs.
The GSA runs on beer? :wink2: What will those Germans think of next?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike has been on the BMW rental fleet, so i assume the service has been on regular basis. However they do not offer the warranty on the powertrain as they do on other older "certified" bikes (another '09 1200gs 40k for example). Yes the cases were the strongest selling point but ultimately the little rips on the back seat, scratches/faint paint spots, little rust on the rear brake pedal, wobbling aftermarket front brake lever put me off from going forward with this bike. I'll just save a bit more and wait for good '13+ GSA deal next spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts

To me that looks like a good deal. I'd offer $7500 as the cosmetic stuff and brake lever is visually annoying but both can be fixed easily. The no powertrain warranty approaching 50k miles is not optimal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts