R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shopping for a headlight guard and noticed the oil cooler guards. When I look at the "grid" of the metal ones, it appears they would block close to 50% of the airflow. I don't want a stray rock from a truck to puncture my cooler but I do want the oil part of the air/oil cooling to work while crossing the desert. Would this be an issue?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Neither are a rampant issue. I have GS’s with and without oil cooler guards and they run the same.

sitting in a traffic jam the bike will get hot. As long as you are moving air is flowing over the cooler sweeping away heat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree. I currently have the twisted throttle oil cooler guard on my 2010 GS. I've ridden through Utah in 100+ degree temps with no overheating issues. Don't "sweat it," get the cooler guard. I also keeps out the various flying critters that wou

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree. I currently have the twisted throttle oil cooler guard on my 2010 GS. I've ridden through Utah in 100+ degree temps with no overheating issues. Don't "sweat it," get the cooler guard. I also keeps out the various flying critters that wou
I agree. I currently have the twisted throttle oil cooler guard on my 2010 GS. I've ridden through Utah in 100+ degree temps with no negative results. Don't "sweat it," get the cooler guard. It also keeps out the various flying critters that would clog up the fins and be a pain to clean out each day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts