R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing the oil on my bike, it will only hold about 3.5 liters and the sight glass is at the top, and running till fully warmed up, doesn't change anything. some folks say, ignore the glass, and fill to 4 liters, others adhere to just under the full mark on the Glass. The electronics don't seem to care about it being at 3.5 L No warnings, or anything from the info button.
Anyone have a definitive answer?

·
Super Moderator
1,085 Posts
I think 3.5L is fine, I'm of the belief to follow the sight glass (at top of it ideally). Some do just dump in 4L.

While for watercooled bikes, discussed extensively here...same debate on oil cooled bikes:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Did you include a new filter?

Was the old oil drained complexly?

Is the bike on the centerstand or held vertically when oil is checked?

Of the few GS/s I've owned a well drained sump and new filter it takes 4L of oil to bring the oil level to the top of the red circle in the oil sight glass or just below it with the bike on the centerstand on level ground. I normally add just shy of 4L then adjust from there.

With the bike vertical and cold motor if you can see oil in the sight glass above the red circle there is enough to safely run the motor. It is overfull it will puke it into the air box and/or leak down in the clutch bell housing and drip on the ground.

For me I shoot for oil level of the center of the sight glass window. Checking a well warmed motor (ridden at least 10 miles) then parked on the centerstand and after 3 to 5 minutes check the oil level.

To go from the bottom of the sight glass to the top does not take a lot of oil. From middle to top is something like 2 or 3 ounces (about a quarter cup). So its easy to overfill until you get used to slowly adding oil in small increments and waiting in between addition for the oil to drain into the sump and level out.

While it seems like a PITA its not bad. The Buell the oil check is a PITA.

• Engine must be warm
  • Bike running on level ground on the side stand remove dip stick
  • Shut motor off reinsert dipstick and screw in.
  • Remove dipstick and check oil level.
  • If low add oil start motor and repeat the above.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of the procedures were followed, fully heated, given 15 mins to drain after removal of filter, and plug. After installation of new filter, plug and refilling to 3.5 L ridden 20 minutes at 40+mph. sat on side stand for 5 minutes, then on the center for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
3.5 liters is the norm for me, the only time I use 4 liters on my 2018 R1200 GSA is when I remove the valve covers to check the clearances. Even on the centre stand the covers hold oil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts