R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, This is my fifth GS in ten years... none of them have had any major issues till this one.
OUT OF WARRANTY WITH ONLY 9700 MILES ON THE CLOCKS and I keep everything well maintained
It has seen a lot of mountain 4X4 Roads and high speed touring alike without any hint of an issue till last week!

zipping down the highway mid-70 mph I heard a slight noise from the final-drive through my earplugs so pulled off the highway to my neighborhood to the sound of a healthy clucking, turned the bike off to check the mail then upon starting back up drive crept forward and died. 3 tries with the same results so I had to push it the 150 yards to the house with loud clunking noises from the drive and tranny areas!
Loaded it into the back of my truck and off to my nearest BMW dealer 3.5 hours away only to have them tell me that this 2013 R1200GSW needs at minimum $8400 in parts and labor! And... all this with no idea if there is any additional internal engine issues from the incident!!! I live in SW COLORADO so my options are very limited for dealer help...

I have heard rumblings on the internet that BMW knows there are issues with these final drive assemblies in the water-cooled GS so does anyone have experience with this as well? Looking for someone who has had similar issues. Do I have any avenues with BWM that may help? The BMW dealer was not really interested in offering any advice except make it into an art piece or spend 8 to 10 K on a bike worth less than 12K to get it back on the road!!!!!
NO TROLLS PLEASE just looking for advice and insight

·
Registered
113 Posts
With this price for repair, try to find another people who sell bike on parts, even 2nd hand, rear part of the bike is relatively easy to assemble in a garage (if only this is a damaged). Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
If only final drive I'd remove myself and find a reputable repair place to send it to for a rebuild. Final drive is very easy to remove with basic tools and review of YouTube videos.

I also wonder what the $8400 includes. Would seem very strange to have both transmission and final drive go out. I would not be concerned on the engine if issue is isolated to the final drive.

BMW dealer service is ridiculous. As example, my ABS went out on my 2007 GSA...dealer solution? $3000. My solution? $250 rebuild by ModuleMasters in Idaho. Unfortunately you won't get the dealer to go with a junkyard or eBay part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what all is said to be ruined? $8400 is a steep bill.
Not clear on total parts yet I will know more tomorrow hopefully... sounds like the entire final drive, the u-joint, coupler, possible drive-shaft, etc. then maybe more, the service manager called at the very end of the day of Friday. (no service on Sat. per Covid19) not open on Mondays! one part was 1800 then another 3000 then add labor. I was driving so missed most of the details. I was distracted and taken back by the call for sure. I simply told him I would call him back on Tuesday to discuss when I had time to get all the details. I will post more when I know exactly what's up

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not clear on total parts yet I will know more tomorrow hopefully... sounds like the entire final drive, the u-joint, coupler, possible drive-shaft, etc. then maybe more, the service manager called at the very end of the day of Friday. (no service on Sat. per Covid19) not open on Mondays! one part was 1800 then another 3000 then add labor. I was driving so missed most of the details. I was distracted and taken back by the call for sure. I simply told him I would call him back on Tuesday to discuss when I had time to get all the details. I will post more when I know exactly what's up
I'd be talking with rubbersideup or Beemerboneyard for some gently used parts. If you handy with wrench surely there's someone close that will give you a hand swapping parts.

If only final drive I'd remove myself and find a reputable repair place to send it to for a rebuild. Final drive is very easy to remove with basic tools and review of YouTube videos.

I also wonder what the $8400 includes. Would seem very strange to have both transmission and final drive go out. I would not be concerned on the engine if issue is isolated to the final drive.

BMW dealer service is ridiculous. As example, my ABS went out on my 2007 GSA...dealer solution? $3000. My solution? $250 rebuild by ModuleMasters in Idaho. Unfortunately you won't get the dealer to go with a junkyard or eBay part.

Its not BMW service its what BMW charges for the parts.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
Here is the best video I've found to pull the whole swingarm which would address the driveshaft if you need to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be talking with rubbersideup or Beemerboneyard for some gently used parts. If you handy with wrench surely there's someone close that will give you a hand swapping parts.

Its not BMW service its what BMW charges for the parts.
I'll check them both out. I'm in Durango Colorado so nothing in the area is truly close but youtube looks to have enough for "How-To" references ... the price of living in paradise

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, This is my fifth GS in ten years... none of them have had any major issues till this one.
OUT OF WARRANTY WITH ONLY 9700 MILES ON THE CLOCKS and I keep everything well maintained
It has seen a lot of mountain 4X4 Roads and high speed touring alike without any hint of an issue till last week!

zipping down the highway mid-70 mph I heard a slight noise from the final-drive through my earplugs so pulled off the highway to my neighborhood to the sound of a healthy clucking, turned the bike off to check the mail then upon starting back up drive crept forward and died. 3 tries with the same results so I had to push it the 150 yards to the house with loud clunking noises from the drive and tranny areas!
Loaded it into the back of my truck and off to my nearest BMW dealer 3.5 hours away only to have them tell me that this 2013 R1200GSW needs at minimum $8400 in parts and labor! And... all this with no idea if there is any additional internal engine issues from the incident!!! I live in SW COLORADO so my options are very limited for dealer help...

I have heard rumblings on the internet that BMW knows there are issues with these final drive assemblies in the water-cooled GS so does anyone have experience with this as well? Looking for someone who has had similar issues. Do I have any avenues with BWM that may help? The BMW dealer was not really interested in offering any advice except make it into an art piece or spend 8 to 10 K on a bike worth less than 12K to get it back on the road!!!!!
I just sold my 2015 GSA with 70,000 miles and prior to the sale, I inspected the FD and driveline. There were no issues.

The only thing I can imagine is that whoever serviced the FD at 6,000 miles failed to replace the Gear Oil in it.
Alternatively, if you have expereinced a lot of deep water crossings on your Off-Road travels, trapped water can create problems for the bearings and gears.

I agree that you have much cheaper options and can likely find a used one, or have yours rebuilt for less money.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts

Excellent Vido-

Repair Services-
Rebuilding the final drive:
(Note that I did not do an exhaustive search on ALL the places that could rebuild your drive)
Anton at Virginia Motorrad is equipped to rebuild these drives. His website notes that a typical repair is ~$750-850 (I would assume that you'd get the standard 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty by BMW, but I don't know that for-sure).
Tom Cutter at “Rubber Chicken Racing Garage” is fully-equipped to rebuild these drives.
MaxBMW does “upgrades” from stock ratios to various other gearing ratios, they do list some prices on their website.

Replace the final drive:
BMW will gladly sell you a brand new one for $2342. Again you'd get the standard 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty from BMW, so this may be a viable option for some.
Used final drives seem to be available from various parts brokers and eBay. If you're bike is newer than 2006, I'd seriously think about getting a 2010-2013 vintage, as these will have the upgraded bearing/vent. Wherever you buy one from, make sure you can clearly see everything on the final drive, including the splines. I've personally seen many a final drive with splines beyond repair on K75/K100 eBay auctions.

I'll do my best to update this post with any new information that I receive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Louisville Ky there is a 2013 GS with 7K miles for sale not what you are looking for I'm sure thought I'd mention. I took my 07 GS final drive apart You Tube does help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts